News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

k-27/Airwire Question

Started by rslater, March 02, 2008, 09:42:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rslater

Has anyone solved the problem of the K-27 running in the 14/28 step mode on the airwire?  Mine runs fine in the 128 step mode but the motor hums(PWC).  The other modes it takes off down the track.  I have changed the CV-2 to zero.  One of the airwire manuals states the the default motor starting voltage is 7, the other manual is zero.  I did power the Bachmann, board, for the optical sensors, removed the motor leads and put them directly into the decoder.  I don't think it would be necessary to create a custom speed table at this point but the motor hum is annoying. ??? ???

Greg Elmassian

I understand the humming is the PWM frequency, not related to the voltage applied. I do not think you can adjust this. I have heard this complaint from several people. CV2 is the starting voltage, which, again, will not adjust the PWM frequency of the decoder.

You may have to use a different AirWire receiver.

Regards, Greg
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

Atlantic Central

Greg,

Not to highjack this thread, but I just wanted to say its good to see you here on the Bachmann board. I too have given up on that "other" board for similar reasons. How can I talk about using the Train Engineer with HO without talking about other brands of products, it makes no sense.

I also wanted to take a this opportunity to thank you for the info on your web site which was helpful when I was developing my use of the Train Engineer for HO.

As I'm sure you have figured out, the advice and help you offer will be completely welcome here - even if you say "Bachmann isn't perfect" or "Aristo has what you need", etc.

I have been in this hobby a long time and share what I can to help others, its part of the fun. You obviously feel the same way. Your knowledge has been most helpful to me and many others - Thank You.

Sheldon

bigjoe1028

Quote from: Atlantic Central on March 04, 2008, 08:20:36 AM
Greg,

Not to highjack this thread, but I just wanted to say its good to see you here on the Bachmann board. I too have given up on that "other" board for similar reasons. How can I talk about using the Train Engineer with HO without talking about other brands of products, it makes no sense.

I also wanted to take a this opportunity to thank you for the info on your web site which was helpful when I was developing my use of the Train Engineer for HO.

As I'm sure you have figured out, the advice and help you offer will be completely welcome here - even if you say "Bachmann isn't perfect" or "Aristo has what you need", etc.

I have been in this hobby a long time and share what I can to help others, its part of the fun. You obviously feel the same way. Your knowledge has been most helpful to me and many others - Thank You.

Sheldon

jsmvmd

Dear Friends,

Forgive my memory lapses, but I thought Greg E. was a regular contributing member already. I remember many posts from him in past years.

When I tried PWM for my Annie, I got a similar hum, but it ran OK. Someone here stated PWM is not for Bachmann products, esp LS. Ergo, not ergot, I stopped that blunder. Did not seem to hurt anything.

BTW, Greg, that is one nice and "clean" website you have. Wish my office looked that good!

Best Wishes,

Jack

Atlantic Central

Jack,

I know Greg has been a regular for some time, but he had an even greater presence on the Aristo board which recently started inforcing their "no disscusion of other manufacturers" doctrine to a most extreme degree, making it impossible for Greg or others to offer the quality advice often given.

I simply wished to let him know his efforts are appreciated and thank him again for his help with my Train Engineer control project.

I too have become frustrated with the Aristo board often feeling that I was about to be censored in my discussion of using the TE in HO. That is one of the reasons it is posted on this board.

Sheldon

jsmvmd

Dear Sheldon,

Roger that. For the life of me I cannot fathom their resistence. Perhaps it is fear of the unknown, or loss of control.

Best Wishes,

Jack

"Trainman"

I too experienced the humming noise from my K-27 under the 128 step setting. I was able to reduce it to almost nothing by using the computer interface and ajusting the settings. That seems to work quite well. How I did this was place the engine on a set of rollers next to my puter. With the AirWire connected, simply played with several of the settings to achive the desired effect.

"Trainman"
San Diego

dhamer52

Trainman,

Can you give a little more detail as too what you did to correct the problem?  That might help some people.

Dan

grumpy

Sheldon
I was contemplating purchasing the basic Train Engineer 2- amp to use on my outdor layout My layout is approx. 10'x 14' and I am using Aristocraft and Bachman. I do have one locomotive with two motors.I don, have any measureable inclines to worry about. Give it too me your opinion.
Don :D

Atlantic Central

Grumpy,

For any large scale application I would go with the advanced 10 amp Train Engineer. They are not really that much more expensive and are much better and more expandable if your railroad grows in the future.

Trainworld has them for well below the list price which is now $200.00 I believe.

Sheldon

"Trainman"

Dan,

I don't remember which speed control variable I ajusted.  ??? I will have to connect the engine to my puter again to determine that. Will let you know what I come up with. I know I have it set to 128 step control.

"Trainman"

grumpy