Main Menu

Re 4-6-2 Rivarossi Southern

Started by raymondo, March 02, 2008, 12:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raymondo

Hi there all
Another American Model Railroader from the U/K nothing in particular
though,
Just purchased a 4-6-2 Rivarossi Southern off that great auction site.
It runs purfect on one circuit but will not cross from one circuit to another
just stops I see the pick ups are on the tender any ideas.

Many Thanks Raymondo

ta152h0

tell us more. long distance diagniosis is very difficult and usually wrong without more info. IIs the track DCC ? Put alligator clips on the leads from the transformer and touch the wheels. Does the locomotive run in both directions ?

raymondo

Hi ta152HO. Thanks
Im new to any forum so here we go.

Loco Running on DC.
Runs perfect For/Rev on one oval of track will not cross over to another oval
or new circuit .
Ps recentlly purchased 5 New Bachmann Steam Locos no problems.
Thanks Raymond.

GN.2-6-8-0

Almost sounds like you have a reverse loop setup...is this possible?
Rocky Lives

raymondo

Hi
its not a reverse loop set up,
I have 4 Main line  ovals divided by insulated joners also at least  20
Diesel/Steam loco that are no trouble.
This loco stops across the double crossvers  i can only see pick ups on
tender. I just cant think what it may Be. . loco bought As new.

Guilford Guy

If its an old model there may onluy be pick ups on one side. Thus the loco pick ups are only on the right hand drivers, and the tenders are only on the left. Therefor when it crosses over, there is only 1 pick up, so no power to the motor... That's my only thought. My 4-8-2 is similar having pick ups on the right hand drivers, and tender pickups on the left hand wheels.
Alex

raymondo

Hi Guilford Guy. Thanks.
I think you are right all i can see are two plungers onto the Drivers
No Wires to motor .
The Power seems to come from the tender through the metal coupling
bar for tender i expect its more pick ups off the engine.

Thanks Again all for all your help Raymond

RAM

I think what you need to do is add a pick up on the left side of the locomotive.  This will need to be insulated from the locomotive or you will have a nice short.

SteamGene

Old Rivarossi were not known for their reliability.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

modlerbob

The rivarossi steam locos are wired exactly the same as most brass steam with the drivers from one side being electrically connected to the chassis and one side of the motor while the other motor lead is connected to the tender through the drawbar and the tender wheels on the opposite side picking up the electricity.  This means if the loco has crossed the point where you isolated the crossover and the tender has not they are possibly on different circuits depending on your wiring
Bob DeWoody

grumpy

Check the drawbar from the locomotive to the tenderand clean the connection at the loco and tender.I hac the same problem with a 4-6-4 that had sat around for a while.
Don

andrechapelon

Quote from: modlerbob on March 03, 2008, 12:26:07 AM
The rivarossi steam locos are wired exactly the same as most brass steam with the drivers from one side being electrically connected to the chassis and one side of the motor while the other motor lead is connected to the tender through the drawbar and the tender wheels on the opposite side picking up the electricity.  This means if the loco has crossed the point where you isolated the crossover and the tender has not they are possibly on different circuits depending on your wiring

Modlerbob is exactly right on this. If you have a double track oval and each oval is wired separately from the other, then the moment that the last drive wheel of the engine crosses into electrically dead territory. Can you power any track from any controller?

I remember being fascinated many years ago that Arnold Rapido's N scale track plans were shown such that different areas of the layout were powered by different  controllers rather than being accessible to any controller by rotary switches that would connect any giver controller to any power block.

Unless you have a continous electrical circuit, the engine is going to come to a dead halt.

Andre

raymondo

Hi Modelerbob and all
You are right but there is power on from another controller for the
loco section.
Will check grumpy reply.
Can I say Thanks to every One who have replied Its my first time on
any forum im amazed.
Thanks Again Raymond

raymondo

Hi all
Today I have managed to get the loco Wheels to turn with out the Tender
Only off the track, A set of wires from a controller,. one wire to the Drive
Wheels and the other Wire to the drawbar not the normal way to test
a loco. what next ???
Thanks Raymond

modlerbob

Raymondo,  you trying to get power from two different power packs.  You will have to wire the crossover section to be able to recieve power from either source and then when the loco and tender are both in the crossover switch from the original to the second power pack.
Bob DeWoody