News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

How many cars behind a 10-wheeler

Started by granpab, March 02, 2008, 04:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

granpab

Another in the series of my dumb beginner questions.  What is the recommended maximum number of cars for a generation 4, 5 and Annie 10-wheeler to pull?  Snow is still deep so I continue to plan the track and buy more big hauler cars.  I will be using 10-foot diameter curves and zero nominal grade. (I am considering changing my log on to zero degrees with zero experience)  Thanx in advance!

Paul W.

There is no magic number that you are looking for. Different things will impact this, metal wheels vs plastic, curves (wider the better, so your plan is right on!), grade, condition of the engine, etc. Keeping your engine lubed is very important especially when running alot or pulling long loads.
I have a simple layout with almost no grade, and I pull 5 passenger cars with a stock Big Hauler. I don't run it for extended periods, and eventually when something does give way in the drive train, I'll be putting in a BBT drive complete with the new shorter front pilot wheels. But for now she just keeps chuggin' along. I can even run the smoke while pulling them without a drop in performance. However, we do have a very early series Big Hauler, and we have 4 cars behind it, a box car, gondola, tank car, and caboose, and it keeps going, but it's not happy. And if you turn on the smoke, forget it, you are'nt going anywhere fast.

Hope this helps!
Happy Steamin'

Paul

granpab

Thanks Paul.  If I keep it to 4 passenger cars, it looks like I will  be okay.  I will keep the maintenance up to snuff.

michtrainguy

I'm still planning my own track too! Hope to get started outside at some future point. In the meantime I have to contend with running trains around a short loop in the garage.

Anyway, to answer your question, the other week I was playing trains and I kept adding stock to my Bachmann 10-wheeler (Annie edition) to see what it would pull. I eventually had a train of 7 freight cars, 6 passenger cars and a caboose - and the loco seemed quite happy. No slipping, no weird noises, no obvious struggling. Even more impressive is that it was running around 4' diameter curves! I'm sure it could have managed a few more cars but I'd run out of stock! Check out my video of this long train in action:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msm3So0RVlI

I wouldn't necessarily recommend this for everyday use (might be too hard on the gears) but I was most impressed, especially for a factory standard loco with no modifications whatsoever.

Glen

Mike

Glen- Finally, someone else who agrees on the pulling power of the engine! I often double head similar engines and have yet to get enough cars behind them to make them stall. And that is on small radius curves and cars all of the way around a larger loop than in your video. VEry impressive!- Mike

Loco Bill Canelos

My Annies are good pullers as well.   When you first get one the drive wheels are pretty slick and will often slip with 10 or 12 cars.   As the drive wheels get broken in they will pull better.  They pull best after the silver on the tread wears to show the bronze color undeerneath. 

I love my Bachamnn 4-6-0 engines with the version 5 chassis or later.  Version 5 is the one with the offset hump by the rear driving wheels and the plastic lubrication plug.  They have the strongest chassis!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

granpab

The video is very impressive. 
Pulling up to a dozen cars seems like the limit I should set for the Annies.
Glad I read your posts before I started back to the frozen North.
A hobby shop here in Florida has passenger cars on sale for $35 (half the price in Canada). There is still a little bit space to fill in the trunk.

Thanx again.