Electrical problems DC HO 3 trk Shay

Started by sfcouple, March 05, 2008, 02:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfcouple

Having an unusal problem and hoping someone may have an idea of what may be wrong.  I recently ordered a Bachmann HO Scale 3 Trk Shay (DC) that ran perfectly for one day.  The following day it would not run at all; however, the front and rear lights operated and changed intensity with various throttle settings.  The on-line supplier was very cooperative and immediately sent me a replacement.  But then I had the identical problem with the second Shay.  Only this time the replacement Shay ran perfectly for 3-4 hours and then just quit.  And just as before, the lights on the Shay would operate, but the locomotive would not move.

All of my other locomotives run perfectly well, my Power Pack is a Railpower 1300, and I do not run DCC at all.  I just don't know if the problem is with my particular setup or did I just run into a bad batch of locos from Bachmann?  Any ideas would be appreciated as I would really love to add this Shay to my layout.   

Wayne

kevin2083

First, check to make sure the little orange plugs between the water tank and coal(or oil) bunker are in all the way. Then check the dcc shorting plug in the water tank if that doesn't work. The dcc plug thing is unlikely, but still worth a try (BTW, make sure to carefully take off the rear ladder before removing the water tank)

Does the firebox light come on too?
Any wierd noises it made before it quit?

I hope you get it working soon, it's a fun little loco. looks great too.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

sfcouple

Quote from: kevin2083 on March 05, 2008, 04:29:46 PM
First, check to make sure the little orange plugs between the water tank and coal(or oil) bunker are in all the way. Then check the dcc shorting plug in the water tank if that doesn't work. The dcc plug thing is unlikely, but still worth a try (BTW, make sure to carefully take off the rear ladder before removing the water tank)

Kevin,
Thanks for the help, I did check the orange plugs in the water tank and they seemed fine but cannot remember if the firebox light came on or not.  Unfortunately, the locomotive has been sent back so I'm not able to check anything else.  However, there were no noises at all coming from the engine, or electrical motor. 
Wayne

Flashwave

Quote from: kevin2083 on March 05, 2008, 04:29:46 PM

Please elaborate on this "Shorting plug" in the tender? My Shay shorts out on DCC layouts.

brad

The "shorting plug is a 6 pin plug that plugs into the DCC socket so that the engine will run on DC systems. It effectively makes a dirrect contact from the pickups on the wheels to the motor and lights. If it runs fine on dc layouts but not a DCC layout I would be more inclined to faul the layout rather than the loco. If you are hearing a humming coming from the engine on a DCC layout it isn't shorting, thats just what they do because of the AC track power of the DCC. Set a thottle to "0" and try it ,most systems will support one non-DCC loco, but I know the new MRC Prodigy systems won't.

Happy Rails.

brad
I drempt, I planned, I'm building

sfcouple

Guys,
Thanks for all your help, it is appreciated.  The Shay has been returned but I will keep all your excellent ideas in mind if this ever happens again. 
Wayne

Flashwave

Quote from: brad on March 06, 2008, 08:33:45 PM
The "shorting plug is a 6 pin plug that plugs into the DCC socket so that the engine will run on DC systems. It effectively makes a dirrect contact from the pickups on the wheels to the motor and lights. If it runs fine on dc layouts but not a DCC layout I would be more inclined to faul the layout rather than the loco. If you are hearing a humming coming from the engine on a DCC layout it isn't shorting, thats just what they do because of the AC track power of the DCC. Set a thottle to "0" and try it ,most systems will support one non-DCC loco, but I know the new MRC Prodigy systems won't.

Happy Rails.

brad

Okay. I did know about that plug. Didn't know the name. Sure it;s not the layout, no hum from the motor, just a click. It;s a Digitrax. And the layout will run other DC engines. Just not Shays.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread Wayne

TrampTrader

Is it normal to have such problems with the three truck Shays ?

Pete

WoundedBear

Quote from: TrampTrader on March 14, 2008, 01:24:21 AM
Is it normal to have such problems with the three truck Shays ?

Pete

Pete...

I have 4 HO Shays for my layout. I think the biggest trouble they have is in the drive line. They are prone to splitting gears. Avoid running them at higher speeds....they are meant to crawl along.

I had one that was a little sticky out of the box....every so often, during break-in, it would stop dead. A light flick of the finger alongside the boiler would get it back running. I think it may have had a stuck brush in the motor. It quit doing this after a few hours run time, and I will honestly say, that all 4 run smoothly and with little problem.

Sid

TrampTrader

Thanks Sid. I really do like the Shays & Climax's.

kevin2083

Quote from: WoundedBear on March 14, 2008, 11:09:36 AM

I have 4 HO Shays for my layout. I think the biggest trouble they have is in the drive line. They are prone to splitting gears. Avoid running them at higher speeds....they are meant to crawl along.

Sid

I also had the split gear problem. The fix wasn't too hard though. I just took off the truck, slid off the bad gear, put a drop of CA on the shaft, and put the gear back on. I haven't had any problems since.
It's also a good idea to lube the driveline right out of the box- you don't know how long it's been sitting on a shelf before getting to you.

enjoy your (fixed) shay!

Kevin
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||