Spectrum 2-8-0 Consolidation: Quality problem, tender wires too stiff

Started by phil87, February 24, 2007, 09:42:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phil87

Dear all,

Just got the Spectrum 2-8-0 Consolidation with on-board sound. Nice locomotive, but the wires going to the tender are so stiff that they tilt-up the tender, so the front truck stays above rail level.

I tried to "help" the wires getting in better shape so the tender can sit back on the rails, but to no avail.

Any idea someone?

Thank you,

Phil

Bill and Michael

I have the exact same problem.  I worked with the wires and it's better, but you're right the wires are just to stiff. ???

Jake

Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

Atlantic Central

I add weight to all my spectrum tenders in addition to reworking the wires.

They all work fine with about and extra oz of weight. And this seems to have little or no effect on pulling power.

Sheldon

richard ronne

Rivarossi back in the 60's used some SUPER FLEX WIRE they called ULTRAFLEX!!! It was almost like string it was so flexible. I have wondered why Bachmann uses wire that is so stiff. I also have problems with the same stiff wire breaking if it kinks all the time like the lead truck on the big haulers.  Shape the wire as best you can & add weight. I love my Consols, they are VERY FINE running models. I love all 5 of them. R. Ronne

Jim Banner

The king of the flexible wires (and perhaps what Rivarossi used) is tinsel wire.  It IS a piece of string, with a very thin, flat conductor spiralled around it.  Current rating is low - it probably would not stand up to a locomotive to tender short driven by a 5 amp DCC booster, but it could be used for the other four wires. 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Bill Baker

Phil,

I had the same problem as you mentioned. There is an abundance of excess wire in the tender and I pulled out a little extra and ran the drawbar through the midst of the wires.  If I recall, the wires came from the factory below the drawbar and it did tend to lift up the tender.  I did not put any additional weight in the tender although I think that, too, would be a good idea.
Bill