News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Minimum radius for bachmann products

Started by MCR, March 05, 2008, 06:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MCR

Hi! I'm new in this forum and also in railroad modelling. I'm thinking of starting my first layout but I don't have a lot of space. So I would like to know the minimum radius for some diesel and steam locomotives. I have checked the website but there is no info about it! (maybe there is some but i haven't found it). It would be great if you could give me specific info about this!!

Thanks from Spain!!

ebtnut

In general almost all Bachmann diesel models will handle 18" curves.  Most of their steam locos likewise.  However, if you have the room, most everything looks and runs better on larger radius curves.  If you can, use 22" curves.  The larger steam locos (2-8-4, 4-8-4, etc.) much prefer the larger radius curves. 

MCR

Many thanks! I would like to use larger radius curve but... i think i don't have enough space... at least not enough to use only 22" curves... i'll have to use mainly 18"...

Gracias! ;)

Yampa Bob

First you have to decide how much space is available.  Many modelers start out with a 4 X 8 layout, which will easily accomodate 22" track.  You can then add an inside loop of 18" for shorter locos and cars.  A 4 axle diesel looks ok on the 18",  a 6 axle looks and runs better on the 22".

If you are considering 86' pullmans, then you need larger curves, probably 28" or more.

For a few ideas on getting started, check my thread "Yampa Valley Railroad" in this section.  PIcnic and ping pong tables make a good table to start with if you don't do woodworking.  A full sheet of 1/2" plywood with 1/2" homasote on top is the norm for a small layout.   Some are using 1/2" insulation board for the top, but it is extremely toxic and doesn't hold nails or screws.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Yampa Bob

MCR
El gusto es mio.
Your last post came in while I was typing.  In my thread I mentioned 42" X 86" as being minimum for an 18" track. If you enjoy adding scenery it makes a nice diorama railroad.  With the smaller size, you can still have lots of car storage in the freight yard.

Buena suerte

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Running Bear

All of the curves on my all EZ-Track layout are 18" radius and my Bachmann equipment takes them with no problem. Nickel-silver EZ-Track is the only track I use.
Running Bear

SteamGene

But what is your Bachmann equipment?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Running Bear

A rebuilt thirty year old GP40, a DCC onboard GP35, a DCC onboard GP50 and DCC onboard GP40. Nothing fancy. The rest of my motive power is Athearn blue box locos, Proto 2000 and 1 Kato.
Running Bear

MCR

Those diesel locomotives are the ones i'd like to start with. And what is an "86' pullman"? Sorry if it is a silly question but i don't know yet all the English words in railroad modelling! I hope I will... Hehe.

Which steam locos do you recommend me to run on 18" curves? I know that the big ones need 22" or more, don't they?

What about the freight and passenger cars? I suppose 40' cars are OK for 18", what about 50' and more like flat cars?

I know I ask lots of questions but I want to have an idea as clear as possible before buying anything!

Gracias otra vez!! ;)

Guilford Guy

Quote from: MCR on March 06, 2008, 05:58:54 PM
And what is an "86' pullman"?

Pullman manufactured some large 86ft long boxcars back in the 70's, maybe 80's, I'm not great with rolling stock knowledge... Correct me if I am wrong.
Alex

SteamGene

There are more steam locomotives that will work on 18" radius than will look good on it.  For looks let me recommend the 0-6-0, 2-6-0, 2-6-2, 0-8-0, 2-8-0, 2-10-0 Russian Decapod, 4-4-0, 4-4-2, 4-6-0, and smaller 4-6-2s.  You can stretch it with the 2-8-2 and the USRA light 4-8-2 by Bachmann.   Larger locos that are made to run around 18" radius look funny and may have overhang problems. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Running Bear

Quote from: Guilford Guy on March 06, 2008, 06:41:18 PM

Pullman manufactured some large 86ft long boxcars back in the 70's, maybe 80's, I'm not great with rolling stock knowledge... Correct me if I am wrong.
I believe the reference was to the 86 foot pullman passenger cars.
Running Bear

Guilford Guy

Quote from: KCS 1 on March 06, 2008, 09:51:10 PM
Quote from: Guilford Guy on March 06, 2008, 06:41:18 PM

I believe the reference was to the 86 foot pullman passenger cars.
I thought Bachmann's Heavyweights were 72 foot?
Alex

SteamGene

I don't think so.  But I'll go measure tomorrow.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Guilford Guy

http://www.wholesaletrains.com/Detail.asp?ID=200484896
I thought Bachmann made them at one point but a search wielded nothing but Walthers'.
Alex