News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N scale heavy Pacific (K4/P7)

Started by in_eden, March 13, 2008, 04:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

in_eden

I would love a good N scale Pacific... especially a Pensy K4 and a B&O P7. No one makes one! That particular style pacific (based on the ALCO 5000) is fairly widely used across the country, and could fit alot of different roads with very minor modifications.
Model power makes a light pacific... but it's just not the same!

...and the B&O 2-8-0 I have is the best running engine on my layout!

brokemoto

The MP pacific is a USRA light.  B&O had thirty originals of this one and fifteen copies (but with Vanderbilt tenders), classes P-5 and P-6, respectively.

MP also sells a USRA light mikado.  B&O had one-hundred originals of this one, class Q-3.

The MP pacific comes in B&O with three different numbers; two with the USRA Standard tender, one with a Vanderbilt.  The numbers on those with the USRA Standard are incorrect for P-5.  I am not sure if the number on the one with the Vanderbilt is correct, or not.

The B&O version of the MP mikado comes with a Vanderbilt and numbered for a Q-4, which was a heavy mikado.  Some of the Q-3s did receive Vanderbilt tenders VERY late in their lives, but they came from scrapped EL classes (2-8-8-0).  The Con-Cor Vanderbilt is based on the B&O Vanderbilt.  The MP Vanderbilt is based on a Harriman that those roads used with smaller locomotives (4-4-0s, 4-4-2s, 4-6-0s, 2-6-0s, 2-8-0s and some switchers.

The Bachmann SPECTRUM 2-8-0 comes numbered for a B&O class E-27, but it really looks more like an E-60 than anything.

The first USRA locomotive built was a light mikado built for the B&O.  It  still exists.

Con-Cor sold a USRA heavy pacific that Rivarossi manufactured.  There was a B&O version (one of which I have), but it is difficult to find.  The RRs are inconsistent runners, at best.

As for the MPs, they are good runners and they look pretty good, but the construction methods are strictly 1970s (as are the RRs).  The MPs also have QC problems.

The B&O had a class of USRA heavy pacific copies.  Also, the railroad rebuilt many older pacifics into USRA -appearing heavy pacifics.

While the PRR is a unique locomotive, a USRA heavy pacific might be a better choice.  Southern also had copies of the USRA heavy.  Only the Erie had original USRA heavy pacifics (also a class of copies).  Others had similar appearing pacifics.  The only road that might have had anything that looked similar to a PRR K-4 might have been GN, which had oil burners with BelPaire fireboxes.

I, too, would like to see a USRA heavy pacific or a B&O class
P-7.

Conrail Quality

Quote from: brokemoto on March 13, 2008, 07:19:24 PM
The Bachmann SPECTRUM 2-8-0 comes numbered for a B&O class E-27, but it really looks more like an E-60 than anything.

:D. For a moment there, I thought you meant the other E-60 Bachmann makes.
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

brokemoto

Quote from: Conrail Quality on March 13, 2008, 09:48:49 PM

:D. For a moment there, I thought you meant the other E-60 Bachmann makes

Should I have typed 'looks more like a B&O E-60? ??? 8)

There was a time when B&O did use electrics in Baltimore, as that city had some strict smoke abatement ordinances.  The electric coupled to the steam locomotive and dragged the train through the City, even stopping at the Mt.Royal station, where required.  Some of those electrics had a curious diamond-shaped 'pantograph' that leaned.  The coming of the diesels put the electrics out of work.

taz-of-boyds

Brokemoto,

Thanks for the detailed discussion!  I could use a WM style Pacific too.  Which from photos I have seen looks arranged a bit differently.

Charles