News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Soundbugs

Started by peterherron, March 07, 2008, 02:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterherron

Mr. B.

I waded through the archives but came up blank.  What make is the decoder in a non-sound 2-8-0?  Can it be used with a Digitrax "Soundbug"?

Thank you,

Peter

max (uk)

Its just a normal Bachmann two function decoder. I think they are made by lentz.

I have to ask what is a Digitrax "Soundbug"? I have never heard of one before.

peterherron

Max

It's a sound only decoder, having no motor functions.  You can add it either as a standalone in the tender, or hook it to a decoder that accepts it.  So far only 1 model of dixitrax decoder does this. Check their website for details. (found this out AFTER I posted)!

With only 2 functions, I think it's time to upgrade with a good motor/sound decoder and speaker. 

Peter

max (uk)

Ah right. Personally enless there is a space problem in the loco which being an On30 2-8-0 there isnt. I think that is just complicating matters.

peterherron

The 2-8-0 begs for a Tsunami motor/sound decoder and decent speaker.  All the wiring is done so one needs only to "plug it in". 

I have a Mogul that was converted to DCC with a mico decoder in the boiler.  THIS would be a good candidate for a stand alone sound bug to avoid all that wiring between the locomotive and tender.

P

finderskeepers

I would second Peter's recommendation for a Tsunami medium steam in the 2-8-0, sounds awesome in mine with the three chime whistle. Why digitrax doesn't offer the soundbug with motor control included is beyond me...I guess it is only suitable as a retrofit for existing decoders, but I would rather have one decoder taking up space in my carbody, not two.

peterherron

Finders...

Actually it's a good idea.  If you already have a good, working motor decoder installed and have the room, it makes sense to just add the sound and save the $$ and time to re-do the whole thing.  In my case with the motor decoder already installed in the boiler, adding sound in the tender is a no brainer.  No dismantling the locomotive, no wires between it and the tender and less $$. 

I agree it would make no sense to use it in a conversion from DC to DCC.

Peter