Maine 2 foot rolling stock and caboose plug...

Started by Maine 2 Foot, March 06, 2008, 06:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maine 2 Foot

One of 2 glaring omissions from the On30 Sandy River & Rangely Lakes rolling stock list is the short caboose like the #557, the other is a reasonable likeness of a 26-28 foot boxcar. If the SR&RL decals from the pupwood car were used on the plain flat cars, gondoals, and the current boxcar body it would be a start. Do I dare pray for the smaller forney as well....yup! Even bigger fantasy, the 2-6-2 prairie with seperate tender!

Whada ya say, Mr Bach-man? Time to revisit the possibilities with the decision makers upstairs?

Vince

Hamish K

I support the idea of a caboose along the lines of #557, a small Forney and/or an outside frame  2-6-2 with tender similar to the Sandy River ones.

All three items should be popular with Maine modellers but would probably  also have a wider appeal, important when it comes to maximising sales!

A passenger carrying caboose could be useful for logging and other industrial lines  to add some passenger carrying capacity, this occurred quite a lot. If one was made I would like to see a version without a cupola as well as one with a cupola, this would increase its possible use.

Small Forneys were used by a range of lines in a number of different gauges as well as by the Maine 2 footers. The current WW&F #10 was a originally Louisiana 30 inch gauge sugar plantation loco.

Baldwin built outside frame tender 2-6-2s for export as well as for the Maine 2 foot gauge operators, they were made  in a number of gauges including 30 inch gauge for Mexico and other places. This would be a good companion for the existing 2-8-0 as well as good for Maine modellers. It could also be built in a tank loco variation, which would be not unlike the well known "Puffing Billy' 2-6-2t s in Australia (although there would be some differences).

Hamish

wade

Vince,
Check out Mount Blue model company. They have SR&RL short caboose kits.
www.mountbluemodelco.com
Some of their kits requior Bachmann cores.
I second the motion for small Forneys and outside frame prairies.
Wade
Wade

SRRL Maine

Hurray for a small Forney. I am in the middle of trying to build a 'phoney Forney' by using the Bachman Porter and changing the motor adding an apron at the back and a new curly cew cab, different domes etc.
Would be nice to have SRRL rolling stock so count me in.
How about it Mr. Bachman?

ebtnut

Interesting article in the new On30 Annual on narrowing and lengthing the Bachmann passenger cars to 2-foot standards. 

Guilford Guy

I would buy a 2-6-2, small forney, and some long coaches, if they were to be made.
Alex

Sherwood

A "short" SR&RL caboose is mentioned in this post, I am only familiar with a few "long" SR&RL cabooses like the ones that MountBlue offers, and have already bought the kit that goes on a Bachmann coach chassis to represent one with some compromises.

Is there a two foot protytpye that is represented by one of the variants of the short MountBlue caboose that fits over the bachmann caboose floor?  I took those to be generic short cabooses, but I still like the look better than the Bachmann one with the narrow cupola.

Nevada40

A 2-6-2 would be perfect as the main engine for on the San Juan Island Railway! Go for it, Bachmann!!
Proud Volunteer at the Northwest Railway Museum
Owner of the Southgate Railroad (Fn3)
Owner of an upcoming On30 Railroad