News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Open sided excursion cars

Started by Hamish K, March 06, 2008, 08:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamish K

I have posted on this before, but is there any thought of introducing some open sided excursion cars for On30? Some were promided for HO, but those seem to be on the back burner. I know there are some ON30 kits for these, and bashing one is possible, but ready to run would be nice. One possibility would be to base one on the exisitng freight car range. Converting freight cars to excursion vehicles was done quite a lot by real roads. Such open sided cars would not only be useful for modelling modern tourist operations but also historical operations as such cars were in use  during the days of regular steam operation before preservation.

Hamish

Dusten Barefoot

Yes, I agree. On the ET&WNC durring the 20s and 30s, they had open air cars full to the brim with passangers. I would like bachmann to make some kind of open air car, I don't care if they are not ET&WNC. ;D
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

Chatzi473

how about the DRGW SILVER VISTA as a car

THE D&SNG also have rebuilt it

the Bach-man

Dear All,
I think it's a good idea, too.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

SRRL Maine

mount blue makes a kit for an excursion car http://www.mountbluemodelco.com/
go to On30 and scroll down
(no I do not get any discounts for promoting them, I just like their kits!!))

max (uk)

Yes i would like some thing like the mount blue one but im not to keen on kits.

I like the idea of a coach built on the cheep. So count me in on one of these. Although a D&RGW one would look totally wrong on my layout and probably others.

Dusten Barefoot

Yes, the silver car is too modern for most layouts, if were modeling the DRGW you could do a quick kit bash, aint to hard. Didn't the EBT have some open air cars? Those would look nice. ;D
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

Kevin Strong

The EBT commonly used their "Dolly Varden" cars for excusrion service.

These cars were typically used to haul bark to the tanneries, but were fitted with longitudenal benches for special occasions.

I suppose you could easily modify one of the pulpwood cars to something like this.

Later,

K

max (uk)

If Bachmann made that. It could have removeable benches. Making it two cars in one!  :)

ebtnut

If you're at all handy, I notice in the new catalog that Bachmann is providing the cast metal underframes for the flat cars as a separate item in either oxide or black.  Get some scribed styrene or basswood for a deck, and cobble up some sides from wood or styrene shapes using the EBT pic as a guide.  Might be a good intro to scratch-building. 

Kevin Strong

While a bit bigger than On30, here's a link to a model I built.

Basically a flat car with a lot of strip wood.

Later,

K

max (uk)

Quote from: ebtnut on March 08, 2008, 05:25:13 PM
If you're at all handy, I notice in the new catalog that Bachmann is providing the cast metal underframes for the flat cars as a separate item in either oxide or black.  Get some scribed styrene or basswood for a deck, and cobble up some sides from wood or styrene shapes using the EBT pic as a guide.  Might be a good intro to scratch-building. 

Well thats the thing. I dont concider myself as handy at all.  :P

David(UK)

Max,
You won't know until you try.
Get yerself a bachmann Flat car, some matchsticks for the stakes and some coffee stirrers from Starbucks or Costas and go from there.
Regards
David(UK)
Rail Baron of Leeds

ossygobbin

(If you're at all handy, I notice in the new catalog that Bachmann is providing the cast metal underframes for the flat cars as a separate item in either oxide or black.)

are they not plastic !! 

ebtnut

I don't have the catalog handy at the moment, but I'm pretty sure they said metal.  Also, it occurred to me that the pulpwood racks would be a good start for this kind of project.