Main Menu

Re 4-6-2 Rivarossi Southern

Started by raymondo, March 02, 2008, 12:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raymondo

Hi Modelerbob.
Your way works but it needs to be switched or it shorts out on the two
controllers,its a lot of work for one loco I have more than one crossover,
Ill wait and see if any thing can be done to loco.
Thanks Again Raymondo.

TonyD

you tested a rivarossi correctly, most of the old ones were like this from day one. A doulbe cross over? 2 diamonds? then you might need power leads to a dead spot in the middle that MOST engines will handle, but this one just-won't. I have insulated switch frogs like that, every loco is a toss up. Do 0-4-0 tanks stop there too???? All wheel pickup on a long engine is sweet at times like this..
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

Virginian

Rivarossi had drivers picking up power from one rail thru sping loaded contact pins against the inside of 2 drivers (right rail) as I recall, and the tender picked up the other rail.  I suspect the pin contacts need to be disassembled, cleaned, and lightly lubed.  Make sure the tender contacts are all good too.
I have the exact set-up you have and have no problems with Rivarossis or anything else crossing from one loop/power pack to another as long as the polarity is right.  DC does have it's virtues.
"What could have happened... did."

raymondo

Hi Virginian and all
The loco set up is exactly as you say i have just cleaned the Plungers
they are tight on the drivers  (no look) should the loco move on its own
the only way I can get the drivers to move as i said before.

No problems with any other lLoco even the latest Spectrums Steam.
they are Great
thanks all Again Raymond..

grumpy

I have an old Rivarossi that was aggravating me .It would not run properlyand made some growling noises. What I found was that one of the trucks under the tender had got turned 180 degrees and was picking up from the opposite rail that it was supposed to. This may be your problem.
Don ???

Virginian

Are you sure your crossover track is energized at all points?  Do you have your insulation gaps staggered?  How much?  Are you sure your tender contacts and engine contacts have continuity all the way to the motor?  I have had broken wires on the tender truck pick ups and going from the plunger pick ups to the motor.  Those are some SMALL wires.
"What could have happened... did."

raymondo

Hi Grumpy/Virginian.
Still pulling my hair out its not the tender trucks,will check what
Virginian Say but all other locos run though alright. why,
This loco run perfect on one circuit will not cross over.
Loco will not run on its own.
There are no wires from the plungers I think power goes though the chassis
Its time to pack it away
Many thanks all again