News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dcc for The George Washington

Started by terry train, March 08, 2008, 04:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terry train

I have the George Washington set. I can not get it to work in dcc.
i have sent it back to the company 3 times and I always have the same thing when I get it back. They even replaced the engine 1 time. Could anyone help me figure out what is wrong with it or what I have to do to get it to work in dcc.
Terry Train

Guilford Guy

Is it DCC ready? I don't think the George Washington sets had decoders but I could be wrong.
Alex

Yampa Bob

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

SteamGene

I ran mine on DCC with no DCC problem.  What does it do wrong?  BTW, the loco is DCC ready.  Mine has a Tsunamin decoder in it - I think. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

terry train

It is dcc ready. It just sits and nothing happens when I plug in the decoder.
I can program the decoder in another engine but when I put it in the George nothing happens.
I have tried Digatraxx, Lenz and MRC decoders, all have the same end result.
As far as the control system, I have both Digatraxx and MRC, Both have the same result. The engine works fine in analog, just does not like DCC.
If I try to program the decoder in the George, It does not read it.
Terry

terry train

I guess nobody else as any thoughts about it

SteamGene

Have you cut the capacitors?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Ozzie21

I'd cut the caps and remove the chokes. When you remove the chokes you'll have to solder a jumper wire in their place. But check to see if the loco getting power? Have you tested it on DC? before fitting the DCC decoder. Are you getting the plug of the harness lined up correctly into the DCC socket. Sometimes you can overlap the socket and not get all the pins of the plug lined up and miss one row of holes. If you can't check it on DC,  you can place it on a DCC track and using a multimeter see if there's any  power from pins 8 red wire and pin4 black wire. If you can't read any volts there then check to make sure tender connections to the loco are in securely.

Regards
Charles Emerson

terry train

I have not modified the control board at all.
I am sure the decoder is plugged in correctly.
The engine works fine in dc mode.

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat

terry train

Why should I have to modife the board when it comes with a ddc plug. to me it means bachmann did not do the job right in the first place

SteamGene

Terry,
The capacitors are there because they are required in Europe.  It's a very simple operation - I can do it.  Many of the newer decoders are designed so they are not bothered by the capacitors. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

ta152h0

If i may pipe in here, if the cnnector is reversed and DCC power is on, you need to code address 3 for the locomotive. Until the reversal is corrected that was the only way i could get my 2-10-2 to run at all, albeit backwards. Hopefully my pipe is not wrong and you can use this info,