News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

This is an experiment/test

Started by lanny, February 24, 2007, 03:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lanny

Trying out something regarding posting of photos.

This is a shot of an ICRR 2-8-0 with the 'Paducah' style sand dome. Experimenting with getting correct size posted.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

lanny

Oh my! I blew that description really bad ... I used a 2-10-2 instead! :-(  Sorry! .. at least it is an ICRR :-)

Anyway, I learned something with this experiment that may help others who want to post photos, but have trouble getting proper sized ones(instead of 'thumbnails') to show up.

I 'used' to copy and past the needed info from 'Imageshack' and then add the brackets, etc., required by Bachmann forum to post, in my message. But on the new forum board, this almost always resulted in my getting only 'thumbnail' size photos to show.

Then someone mentioned using the "2nd button from the left in the second row of buttons" provided above the "Message" box.

When I click on that button, the brackets and 'img'-'/img' info automatically appear and I paste only the necessary Imageshack info between the two sets of brackets. Doing it this way now always results in getting a properly sized photo.

Hope this is helpful to others. It's really simple. Thanks to whoever it was that suggested using the 'button' provided on this web site!

lanny nicolet

scottychaos

Lanny,
I have been doing it that way since the beginning of the new Bachmann forum weeks ago, using the "2nd button from the left in the second row of buttons".. and even doing it that way, the photos is still resized to 500 pixels wide..
your demo image above is also resized to 500 pixels wide, and its really 721 pixels wide..

so sorry, but I dont see that anything has been fixed.

unless by "thumbnail" you are referring to something even *smaller* than 500 pixels wide..if you are getting thumbnails like that, then that has nothing to do with the bachmann forum and instead must be because of which set of code you pick from imagshack..

as for the "main problem" with images on this forum..namely that they all get resixed to 500 pixels wide..its still not fixed.
and whatever you methods you choose to insert the IMG tags has no effect on that.

Scot

Jim Banner

Quote from: scottychaos on February 24, 2007, 08:45:47 PM
as for the "main problem" with images on this forum..namely that they all get resixed to 500 pixels wide..its still not fixed.
Scot

What is the problem with resizing to 500 pixels?  As I see it, this helps keep images down to a workable size.  Some of the images posted on the old board were a couple of thousand pixels wide and not only did they take a long time to download, you had to shrink them in order to see the whole image at once.  You still have the option to see the full size image if you want.  Just right click on it and choose "View Image."  Or if you use Internet Explorer, right click on the image, choose "copy," then paste the image into Windows Paint or the image program of your choice.  Try it on the image below.

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

lanny

Thanks for the explanation Scot,

I use a Mac and thought I had discovered something neat. Guess not! My earlier images, however, were the same original size as this one, yet when I tried to get them posted, for some reason, evidently not the reason I thought, they all came out as very small, thumbnail images...about large postage stamp size.

Anyway, the image I got this time is better than that size.

Jim, I'm afraid I'm 'mouse challenged'. My Mac mouse has only 'one button' so I can't 'right' or 'left' click ... I can only 'click' ... would that be called 'center click'?  :-)

Nice photo ... is that your layout ... or a club layout?

lanny nicolet

scottychaos

oh! wait..
it was 250 pixels wide before wasnt it??
that was the original size I was complaining about, that was far too small..
so I guess the limit has been upped to 500 pixels now?
ok then, I suppose 500 is fine..

although 500 is still a bit smaller than necessary..640 pixels is considered standard these days..even 800 would be reasonable and not "too big"..
but I can live with 500 I guess!  ;)
much better than 250!

Scot

Kevin Strong

Lanny,

Get yourself a SuperMouse for your Mac. You'll never go back. Left, right, center, and side buttons, not to mention up/down and left/right scrolling with the thumbwheel. It's optimized with OS 10.4, but all but the two side buttons work with 10.3. My wife got tired of me stealing the one from her G5, so she bought me a Wacom graphics tablet with a 3-button mouse. Since I'm using 10.3, that's all the functionality I can use anyway.

Later,

K

Jim Banner

Lanny, I am sorry to say that when it comes to Macs, I suffer from gross ignorance.  I am glad Kevin came along with information I could not give you.

Thanks for the comment about the photo.  It is my home layout, taken during one of our operating sessions.

lanny

Kevin and Jim,

Thanks both! Kevin, I eny your wife's G5!! They are super machines ... mine is a G4 with an accelerator running at 1.5 GHz on OS X 10.4.4, so I will definetely look into the multi-function mouse.

Jim ... perhaps you have already done this at some previous time, but I would enjoy seeing more shots of your layout. If you have them posted anywhere, please let me ('us') know ('again'?).

The photo looks like a freight was struggling upgrade in the Canadian Rockies with a helper ... if I am correct, I think it is a specially great shot ... 'diesel power' needing 'steam' help! Ah! There is something so satisfying in imagining that :-)

lanny nicolet

Jim Banner

Lanny, I am glad you caught that!  It appealed to my sense of humour as well.  And thanks for the suggestion.  I have posted a few (very few) photos of my layout, and they are mostly 10 years old or older.  Time to update.

Bill Baker

Jim,

Great picture!  Is that a DCC controler you have in your hand?  What brand do you use?

Bill
Bill

Stephen Warrington

Lanny O Lanny I can't believe you made a steam mistake on our Beloved ICRR locomotives now you got me worried are you going to turn that Bowser loco based on a PRR prototype to ICRR :P :-X Looks like we're gong to have to seen you back to ICRR steam locomotive School 101 lol on the ICRR list. Just wait until I tell Ray and gang! I will take a proto 2000 2-10-2 in IC colors to keep this mum lol ;).

Hmm I have never posted a pic on this new forum lets see if I can even do it lol.

Stephen

lanny

Stephen,

I'm trying to think of a good excuse before you spill the beans to Ray and the group :-) Unfortunately I can't come up with any other than I had a 'senior moment'!

Great photo, Stephen! But I have a question ... that's a 2400 series ICRR mountain, yet it looks like its pulling one of the 2600 ICRR Mountain tenders (very high side, long and six wheel trucks). Is that possible ... or am I seeing things?

Here's the photo I meant to post ... :-)

My next kit bashing project ... Spectrum Consos are a great starting point for this one!

lanny nicolet

Jim Banner

Bill, thanks for the kind words.  Actually, that's one of my model railroading buddies, recently retired from the CN and now learning what REAL railroading is all about.   That's a Digitrax UT4-R radio throttle in his hand.     

Stephen Warrington

Hi Lanny, The photo was taken on the Edgewood cutoff engine number 2458 a 4-8-2 on the tender I can't really tell about the trucks looks like they are 4 axle to me I blew up the orginal until I could see them as clear as possiable. But the tender does look larger than the normal ones on IC 2400 class locomotives but its pretty grimy and the numbers do match. I do the ICRR loved to play musical tenders at times.

ICRR 2507 at Jackson, Mississippi

I am thinking of getting a Bachmann 4-4-0 so I can model this Y&MV train in the Yazoo delta.

Stephen