Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

This is an experiment/test

Started by lanny, February 24, 2007, 03:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lanny

Hi Stephen,

Thanks!

I got further help from some 'ICRR steam experts' regarding my question. You are right, that is ICRR #2458, but it's hauling the big, high side, six wheel tender. (someone else had a photo like that or perhaps a copy of that one and sent me some info regarding it).

He mentioned that after ICRR stopped using the early 'super power' 2-8-4s, the Paducah shops turned them into various other steamers. Several of the 2-8-4 high side, six wheel truck, tenders ended up connected to some #2400 series ICRR Mountains ... #2458 being one of them. The photo you posted of #2507 has the more common ICRR large steam tender. I'm waiting for a Bachmann 'long tender' to arrive so I can 'kit bash' it  into the style shown in your photo. The Bachman Spectrum tender is very close in size and most respects, except for tall curved coal bin sides.

As you mentioned, the trucks are hard to see in the original photo, but I was sent a photo of another #2400 series with a clear side shot of the big 6-wheel truck tender. Impressive looking locomotives with that big tender!

Thanks for further checking on it for me.

Best wishes on your 4-4-0 Y & MV consist.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Stephen Warrington

Hi Lanny yes they are impressive, A good friend of mine before he passed on was conductor on the ICRR from the 1930s up to almost 1970. Here in the Mississippi Delta and the stories he could tell about the ICRR and Y&MV locomotive swaps. One instance in around 1935 a 2-8-2 had a hot box on its tender and as they crept into Greenwood MS they spied the yard goat a 2-6-0 mogul sitting cold so what does the Engineer do they steal the switcher's tender to continue on to Jackson with the train. To the horror of the shop crews. He rode behind everything from double headed 2-6-0's hauling cotton out of the MS delta to 2-10-2s hauling banana trains at 100 mph on the Panama Limited schedule. One of my favorite photos he gave me is posted below.

Stephen

lanny

Hi again Stephen,

Your story of 100 MPH ICRR banna reefers to Chicago corroborates the story my dad told me of a similar story that an engineer told him of clocking a 'bannan express reefer' begin pulled by a 4-8-2 at 110MPH. Still hearsay ... but wouldn't it have been fun to watch something like that from a 'safe distance'!

Your story of the 'stolen' tender from the Mogul makes me think that my ficticious ICRR Iowa 'Strawberry Creek Division' just might somehow be able to make room after all, for that old, heavy, Bowser Pennsy Decapod I'm building :-)

Is ICRR 5063 a 4-6-0? If it is ... maybe I have an excuse to buy a Spectrum 4-6-0 :-) It looks like it might have the 'long' ICRR 2-8-2 style tender. Please send me any more info you might have on #5063 (to my private eMail if you want to do so). I sure would appreciate it! Thanks for the photo (I 'screen copied it' and put in my 'ICRR' folder.

lanny nicolet

Stephen Warrington

Hi Lanny,

the loco is a very small drivered 4-6-2 the man in the boat is hiding the rear pony truck it was used mostly in the Mississippi Delta because it only weighed like 80 or so tons. I have been getting alot of ICRR steam photos off the web but I have alot of my own collection on line on my photos site underGlory days. I am far from being a ICRR steam expert and the Y&MV is even harder but I did find a locomotive that matches a Bachmann Spec model perfect #115 of the Mississippi Central.
http://steve.bill--porter.com/photo.htm

Stephen

Orsonroy

Now you guys have done it...I've found you! I knew my ears were ringing...3

Anyway: Stephen, IC 5063 was a 4-6-0. It was built by Baldwin in 10/1907 for the A&V, and renumbered buy the IC when they took over the road in 1926. Here's a photo of sister engine 5065:

These three engines (5063, 5064, 5065) were scrapped by the IC in 1946.

Lanny: the 63" drivered Bachmann 4-6-0 can be used for a couple of different IC engines. I'm sending you one of my typical emails on the topic soon.
Ray Breyer
Modeling the NKP's Peoria Division, 1949

lanny

'OrsonRoy'

Thanks! (I got your eMail, too).  I'm checking on locations to purchase the 63" Bachmann Spec 4-6-0 undec as we speak (write)  :-)

lanny nicolet

Stephen Warrington

:) Thanks Orsonroy for correcting me on back of the photo it has 4-6-2. So I guess the photographer goofed when he labeled the photo. Its not the only one he had mislabled. Mainly getting small towns confused in some of his oldshots.

Stephen