Structure auction ends tomorrow!

Started by engineerkyle, March 08, 2008, 09:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

engineerkyle

I don't think this forum has any rules about advertising.  Wounded Bear thinks this post is kosher, if not, the mods here can delete it immediately with my apologies.

CLICK ON LINK TO SEE MORE
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESEX:IT&item=220207284033&_trksid=p3984.cSELL.m315.lVI

Thanks,

EK

Jim Banner

Your usual fine work!  I am just sorry to see that you have excluded 93% of the world's population from your list of potential buyers.  I wonder how high the price would go if you had allowed model railroaders outside of the United States to bid on it?
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

engineerkyle

Hi JIM!

Maybe I should.... It was suggested to me that overseas shipping is an expensive hassle. Anyone care to expound or dispute that?

Kyle

WoundedBear

When I was selling on Ebay, I went by one rule.

If I was paid through paypal and the buyer is willing to pay actual cost of shipping, then I'll send it anywhere on the globe basically.

I sent models to England, Australia, Germany and France.

Sid

engineerkyle

Thanks Sid,

I've got another batch of pieces, and, with your rules and Jim's suggestion, I'm going world-wide.

I was also wonder if you all think the artist will fetch more if one piece at a time is listed "Exclusively" or a whole variety/quantity is auctioned from week to week?

Thanks,

Kyle

Craig

Buyers like to take advantage of combined shipping. I believe it would be to your benefit to auction several buildings of similar theme/mode/period/style simultaneously in separate listings. This would attract buyers with deeper pockets and greater goals.

Yampa Bob

Kyle
I am curious as why you would offer such a masterpiece on Ebay?  Have you set a minimum bid?

I was searching for custom built log cabins in HO, and I got estimates ranging from $250 to $500 each.   Super detailing a locomotive earns about the same price.

A craftsman has to be paid his worth.  People tell me I can't expect to recoup my time and effort, but if I don't realize at least $25 an hour it's not worth it.  Hope no one "steals it" for a cheap price.

Just my philosophy, good luck.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Jim Banner

Quote from: engineerkyle on March 08, 2008, 11:40:06 PM
Hi JIM!

Maybe I should.... It was suggested to me that overseas shipping is an expensive hassle. Anyone care to expound or dispute that?

Kyle

Overseas shipping IS expensive and that is one of the reasons I usually confine my eBay shopping to Canada and the US.  Fortunately, there are no seas between our two countries and the customs tags that you have to fill out are free.

I think most buyers on eBay realize that the farther an item has to be shipped the more it is going to cost.  And we are willing to pay a buck or two for handling as well - wrapping materials are not free, nor is the gas you burn driving down to the post office.

Unfortunately, there are sellers on eBay that want 15 or 20 bucks above the cost of postage because they spend five minutes filling out the green customs tag.  They are either con artists or have an ego the size of a house.  I mean, do they really think their time is worth $180-$240 an hour?  Fortunately, these sellers are rare, but anyone buying from another country is virtually forced to ask sellers for the cost of shipping to their address if it is not listed in the terms of the auction.  What this means to you as a seller is that you can expect potential foreign bidders to ask about the cost of shipping, making some extra work for yourself.  One way around this is a statement such as "shipments outside the USA will be at the actual cost of postage" or "shipping and handling outside the USA will be at the actual cost of postage plus $2 USD."  I might add that Canadian buyers will normally ask for shipping via USPS as UPS and FEDEX add their own $25 handling fee on cross border shipments to Canada.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

engineerkyle

Quote from: Yampa Bob on March 09, 2008, 07:43:43 PM
Kyle
I am curious as why you would offer such a masterpiece on Ebay?  Have you set a minimum bid?

I was searching for custom built log cabins in HO, and I got estimates ranging from $250 to $500 each.   Super detailing a locomotive earns about the same price.

A craftsman has to be paid his worth.  People tell me I can't expect to recoup my time and effort, but if I don't realize at least $25 an hour it's not worth it.  Hope no one "steals it" for a cheap price.

Just my philosophy, good luck.

Bob

Thanks Bob,

I got 68 bucks for it. I expected it to go for somewhere between 50-100. I've seen plenty of similar or worse items listed on eBay with a high minimum bid or reserve price. If I recall, those didn't sell at all. Also, eBay nickel and dimes you for those extras. Finally, setting a low opening bid seems to whip up a bit of an auction frenzy, and bidding wars have benefited me greatly on a couple of past items.

I think as my work gets out there, the prices will continue to rise.

I know I'd be nowhere without the help and support from the guys here and on other forums.

Thanks.

EK