News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

CP Rail F9 coupler conversion

Started by Alexraptor, March 09, 2008, 12:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexraptor

I just started my conversion of my old Bachmann HO sets from the 80's. I'm going my CP Rail set first and i just finished converting the locomotive.
And i think the conversion worked out pretty nicely 

Before:

After:

Though switching trucks have been troublesome to say the least. A couple of lost springs that flung away and one truck with coupler which had the lid burst off and sent the spring and dowel flying into oblivion.
And i just found out i need to buy a different coupler for the Caboose, turns out that Kadee's conversion charts don't streach back far enough. According to it i needed 37's for all cabooses, but it turns out i am going to need 32's instead because of the higher elevation of the caboose.

This hobby can be tedious at times.  ;D

TonyD

First off, you are the CPR, not caboose, but 'VAN'. And don't worry about loosing coupler parts, the vacuum cleaner will find them next year... they-Kadee- sell packets of just extra springs, happens to all of us. Nice looking covered wagon, looks like the star of 'silver streak'.... there are lots of detail parts out there to dress this up when you're ready for superdetailing. And the Bachmann GP30's in CPR are very nice too, got to be the prettiest trains thru the prettiest scenery, you will have a great time!
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

Guilford Guy

Nice Job! Did anyone ever notice the working steam generators in silver streak?
Alex

Alexraptor

Well the original box got thrown years ago, but i don't know if its a Silver Streak, its just a plain DC engine with motor and light and thats about it.

I have however placed an order for a DC Bachmann CP Rail(Multi-mark) GP35 loco, so it should prove to be a nice addition to my Canadian fleet  ;D

RAM

How to control coupler springs.  Take a tread and run it through the spring.  When you get it on,
slowly pull the tread out. If it pops out when you are trying to install it, it will not go far.

Yampa Bob

I only use the #148 whisker, same coupler as #5 without the flyaway springs.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Alexraptor

A pity the truck couplers don't come with whiskers.
Im retrofitting my old stock with truck mounted couplers with Bettendorf trucks with kadee couplers, much easier that way. Though i am finding its not entirely effortless as i need to cut off the knob that the old trucks slide onto and file the edges of the old screws so that they fit properly.