News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Rolling Stock Couple Height is low?

Started by kreeve, March 09, 2008, 11:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kreeve

Have 4 or 5 Bachmann rolling stock purchased in December.  I noticed that they had various problems going through turnouts.  The coupler hoses, or the magnetic part that hangs low to the track were getting caught up on turnouts sometimes causing derailments.  Furthermore they would touch or hit the magnets of the uncouplers in my yard. 

I checked them against a Kadee # 205 Coupler Height Guage and the couplers were low on  every one of them.   No wonder they are having problems.  My Athern and other rolling stock seem to be ok.

Is this typical of Bachmann Rolling stock?  What is the best way to fix them? The kadee washers I have do not fit over the plastic flange on the bottom of the car to give it lift. 

-K ???

WoundedBear

Would an under-set shank coupler give you enough adjustment? That raises the coupler head center line above the shank centerline.

If it's only the "hoses" or trip pins hanging low, then tweak then back into shape with trip pin pliers.

Sid

SteamGene

Before I install a coupler, I automatically turn the end of the glad hand up.  I use a small needle nose pliers to do so.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jim Banner

If Kadee washers don't fit, how about making your own washers?  Sheet styrene .010 thick works well.  For nice clean holes, clamp the styrene between two scraps of wood, then drill the required size holes through this sandwich.  To cut the outside of the washer, a paper punch does the job quickly and easily.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

kreeve

The Underset coupler does do the trick.  The Bachmann rolling stock seem to be about 1/2 copler height to low, so that lines them up about perfect.

:)

I have not tried making my own washers, but that is another excellent thought. 

And I have been using needle nose to bend the trip pins a bit.  I find that difficult to do, as if I am not careful it bends the ez-mate couplers as well. 

On some of them I have had to bend the trip pins, even after getting the coupler height right.  I also found you can sometimes push the bin back up into the coupler.  The end sticks up out of the coupler, but you can trim it off.

Thanks for your tips and ideas.  I have not looked to see if Kadee has other washers available.  I may give the make my own washers a try today.

Two hobby stores in town, but neither carys a half way decent line of kadee stuff, but the one has an excellent supply of styrene.

-K

Yampa Bob

Kreeve
Do yourself a favor and get a pair of Kadee trip pin pliers.  They are specially designed to bend the trip pin up or down, without bending the shank or otherwise messing up the coupler.  Using a regular needle nose pliers works on Kadee metal couplers, but not on the plastic EZ Mate.  I finally got a pair of the Kadee, and I wouldn't be without it now.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

SteamGene

Bob,
It's cheaper to throw away the EZ Mate and use the needle nose on the #5 than to buy the single use only Kaydee coupler trip pin mover.  I use the needle nose for I don't know how many jobs the Kaydee coupler jobber can't do.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Yampa Bob

Like I always say, to each his own.  I have dozens of single use tools, but then I have always been a tool addict.  It was a habit I formed from the optical business where only a specific tool would do a certain job.

I have about 50 assorted jeweler's pliers, tweezers and rifflers  that I have since modified for some neat uses on trains.  They are over 30 years old, they just don't make tools as good as they used to.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

SteamGene

Bob,
I tend to agree with you if only one specific tool will do the job.  But if I can do the same thing with a multi-capable tool, why not?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

hotrainlover

Bob,
I also use this Kadee tool to bend piping on all my model projects.  It has 3 different spots to do this...
Now you have a "multiple " use tool, too!!

r.cprmier

Gene;
It is how well you can do it with a "multi-purpose" tool V. a pair of trip pin pliers, rather than that you can do it at all.  Those Kadee pliers ca ndo that job much better than a pair of common needlenose can, with less muss and fuss.
Incidentally, there are many uses for those trip pin pliers, such as bending wire for grab irons, reworking grabirons (goofed up the hand grabs drilling operation...) etc.
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Robroy

The needlenose may bend the trip pin one way, but will it bend it the other way without brakeage?

SteamGene

The needlenose may bend the trip pin one way, but will it bend it the other way without brakeage?

I've never had to bend the other way. Needlenose works with Kadee only.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat