Installing a back-up (rear) light in Bachmann Shay

Started by edlek, February 25, 2008, 08:16:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

edlek

Has anyone installed a back-up light in one of the newer  Bachmann Shays? At rear of PCB there is a LED 1 label. I put Shay in reverse and measured voltage at the two unused solder pads by the LED 1 label but there was no voltage!? Some circuitry appears to be missing.

Thanks,
Ed

railtwister

Did you check the voltage potential in both polarities? It might be that the board is set up to use either a bulb or an led. Also, there may be an additional jumper required somewhere else on the circuit board. Logically, it  would seem that LED1 would more likely be the designation for a headlight rather than b/u light. but who knows?

regards,
Bill Nielsen
Oakland Park, FL

br549

On my Soundtraxx board LED1 is to the left front of the board and LED2 is on the rear center of the board. LED 2 is connected to my backup lamp on my Climax . 

edlek

Yes, LED1 for front light would make more sense. But, LED2 is used on the Shay.

I measured voltage across the two PCB pads for LED1 and there was no voltage, neither + or -

A picture of top and bottom of the Climax PCB would be much appreciated. I have the feeling that the Climax PCB was used. But  a green shade guy (aka bean counter)  figured that since there was no rear light offered on Shay then a few cents could be saved.

Ed

br549

The decoders are the same, as a mater of fact the whistles on the climax board sounds much better.
One thing about DCC  the variables in the decoders CV's have basically on and off functions, If the value in the Headlamp CV isn't set  as in the on option it wont work no matter what button you push and no voltage will come out.. So changing the variables in the CV might need to be done . for the most part that kind of value is normally either "0 for off  or 1 for on" Now the next problem finding out what the CV # is and what the variables are for that exact function to be programed in to allow the decoder to recognize the command prompt. If I am correct the decoder  is a BT2S soundtraxx decoder?  If so go to their web site  www.soundtraxx.com  and contact the tech support by email or phone, ask them if that certain model is equipped with rear light function and if it is what are the CV's for the head & tail lamps and what the Variables are. set the variables for what the on will be and your home free.  I would have answered you on RRL forums but seems this site is as good as any for the reply. keep me posted ... hope I didnt confuse you :D

br549

BTW I almost forgot I'll try to post a picture of my board here. I haven't ever :-\ posted pics here so bear with me.

edlek

Bob,

I have a post on the RRL forum under ON30. Same topic same id. We can  continue there (more eyes). But we have different PCBs. I have standard (i.e. non sound) Bachmann PCB.

Ed

br549

Sure we can carry this on to the other forum if you wish. One important thing you mentioned we dont have the same board, mine is a Soundtraxx BT2S sund decoder added to my Factory bachmann board and running DCC.
Tell me what make & model of board are you working with?

edlek

I'm using the standard Bachmann PCB board. No soundcard but I will add one eventually. I'm wondering if the rear light circuit on the Bachmann PCB only works if a soundcard is added? Can you take a picture of your soundcard installation? Lets move to RRL forum as I think posting a picture is easier there or I can send you my email addr and you can send it directly.

Thanks,
Ed

br549

That Say's a lot about why the light doesn't work. If the unit wasn't  equipped with it from the factory I seriously doubt that the circuit would be live unless it was originally produced with a rear light from the beginning.
If you install a soundtrxx DSX or DSD it will then have the rear light option that works. . I Wished I had better news, but the answer is add a DSX card  they cost about $139.
Best regards...