News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Locomotives with venderbilt tenders

Started by gcodori, March 12, 2008, 04:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gcodori

As a modeller of the SP - I am always on the lookout for steam locos equipped with vanderbilt tenders.  Other than the heavy mountain - what other spectrum locos have this style tender?

I understand that the tenders can be ordered seperately, but that would leave me with extra square tenders to sell or give away.  Would the parts dept do a trade?

Does anyone have photos of this style tender swap they would like to share - along with any issues (such as wiring)?

Thanks
GC

japasha

I have attached a medium Vandy to an undec 2-8-0 for a nice reasonable SP  locomotive. As the loco has the family look already, the tender ices it. I picked up a late locomotive with DCC and transferred the board from the square tender over. Pretty easy.

SteamGene

Two tenders and one loco = two railroads if the cab numbers can agree - with your own railroad, that's real easy.  Remember, Bachmann has three "Vanderbilt tenders" - and one is no where close to what SP used.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

gcodori

Is there one that comes close?  How about the parts dept doing a trade?

Is the one on the new heavy mountain dcc/sound the same as one of the tenders offered seperate?

GC

SteamGene

The small (they claim medium) is an SP Vanderbilt.  One of these days I'm going to do new hand rails to make mine closer to C&O practice.   The SP heavy Mountain has, I believe, an SP oil Higgins tender, which is, I think, a semi-Vanderbilt design. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

TonyD

I mentioned this before with no takers... but.... again.... why did Harriman roads use cylindrical tenders called 'Vanderbilts', and Vanderbilt family roads usually used 'Harriman style' boilers. A few vandies on a few Erie in late steam, what else in the east?. Is it all to confuse a young and friagile brain such as mine???? GC should be able to sell or swap off square tenders at train shows, if there are any near you.... water under the bridge, hang on to them... relieve the minotony for free someday, like Gene said, letter the square ones with your roadname, switch them back and forth, have fun with this stuff!
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

gcodori

can anyone post a photo of the vandy and semi vandy tenders offered by Bachmann, perhaps end-to-end so one can see the difference in length?

A pic is worth 1000 words.