News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

corrosion

Started by filmtrain, March 12, 2008, 08:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filmtrain

I have searched the forum and found some info on dealing with corrosion but I thought I might get some help for my "special" problem.

My layout runs from the main room into a tunnel that is in the mechanical room for my 95 year old house.  The vent for the water heater has a small leak that I have patched several times but it dripped on the track this week and now my nickel silver track has green corrosion all over it.

What would be the best way to clean this?  I really don't want to replace the track.

And of course I am fixing the vent so no home improvement folks out there need bother me about that.

Love this forum, I read all the time but rarely post.  Thanks for the help!

WoundedBear

Green corrosion on nickel silver? Brass, yes......but I thought nickel silver turned white when it started to corrode?

Try some good old CLR brand lime/scale remover.......apply with the corner of a cloth.

Sid

GN.2-6-8-0

Leave it there long enough and it'll turn green  ;D
Rocky Lives

Jim Banner

Nickel silver, like brass and bronze, contains copper.  Copper and its alloys when exposed to water or water vapour and hydrogen sulphide forms copper sulphate.  Likewise with water and carbon dioxide it can form copper carbonate, commonly called verdigris.  Mixtures of copper sulphate and copper carbonate with various degrees of water of hydration can give corrosion products ranging from blue to green.  Removal with 600 grit wet and dry paper and a bit of light oil works well for me.  A thin coating of conductive oil helps stop it from forming in the first place.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Woody Elmore

Keep in mind that there is no silver in nickel silver. It is basically a copper alloy also called "german silver."

Speaking of the word silver, my grandfather used to drive a bus and at the end of the day he's count his "silver." I wonder how many people out there still refer to coins as "silver?"

With the move on to abolish the penny (and nickel too, I recently read) the word coin might also disappear.

A buddy used to put his change into a small fish bowl. When it was relatively full, he'd count out the change and head to the local hobby shop. This was after his divorce.