Help with HO and maybe N Scale Locomotive Identification?

Started by Redtail67, March 13, 2008, 11:37:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redtail67

My daughter is sendeng me a box or 2 of mostly HO cars, tracks, power supply and engines. About maybe 10-12 she did not say.

I should get them tommorrow if I am lucky sent from NJ 3 days ago via UPS. I can not wait.

After I get them I would like some help as to what company made them and any input about whether they are any good.

One is a real beauty Santa Fe F, she sent a picture email, which is gonna see use for certain on my future layout.

After hearing (reading) so much about various company locomotives I am just hoping that I can idenntify them.

I plan to record any markings of course and I am wondering, if it is possible, could I post a photo here on this site if needed to help identify them.

Redtail67

TonyD

There should be no problem, unless they are old as that TV show stuff, ( I didn't see it, saw one on real RR's last night??) somewhere on the bottom of all of them should have a maker's mark, and usually the country. Seems as soon as the iron curtain came down , Solvenia, Slovokia, new names cropped up. I really don't curse any brand, each company has made-or still makes- good and accurate models. Not all of them all the time, and as you get used to customizing and improving the low quality ones into nice models, it becomes very satisfying without breaking the bank...some of my nicest F units are nasty ol' shells superdetailed, repainted and decaled, weathered a little... and a new nice running chassis under it, from a completely different maker. Try to hit some train shows near you, a good education for the price of admission.   
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

RAM

Redtail,  Remember,  beauty is only skin deep.  There are many beautiful looking Santa Fe F units .  some are just that.  I just hope that when you open the box, you will find that you do have one of the well made models.

Redtail67

Ram and TonyD:

Thanks for your replies.

I am still waiting for the boxes...I think a mail wagon drawn by mules would have been here by now.

I am hoping that I have ones that are pretty good. The real problem is that I do not know what is or is not good. Thats why I was hoping for help in identifying them and perhaps comments as to their reliabilty and maybe their upgradabilty to DCC.

Of course they are free and if they work I will be proud to have and use them.

I plan to set up a spreadsheet of inventory of what all I have and then determine what I need. Then go to work on starting two layouts one 4x8  HO for my grandson and I. The other 4x8 maybe less in N to keep my grandson interested and involved will I build the HO layout.

Trying to learn so thanks for your help.

Redtail67