News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Reversing loop problem...

Started by Chesticus, March 14, 2008, 04:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chesticus

My Bachmann reversing loop module went bad. So I went out and bought MRC's reversing loop module. But my trains are stalling coming out of the loop. I have a Bachmann EZ command with a Bachmann 5 amp power supply. I have heard that these MRC modules cannot handle the power, or work fast enough for the engines I am using (Callenger 4-6-6-4 sound, F3 A-B-A consist with sound). Should I just go back to using the Bachmann reversing loop module?

Any input would be very helpful.

Chesticus

Jim Banner

If by "5 amp power supply" you mean a 5 amp DCC booster, then yes, its output is greater than the 2.5 amp rating of MRC's auto reverser.  This generally does not stop an auto reverser from working, it usually only reduces its life.  I have not been able to determine the current rating of the E-Z Command auto reverser but suspect it may be less than 5 amps. 

It is possible that you have a speed problem.  This is nothing to do with the locomotives but rather the speed that the reverser reverses compared to the speed that the booster shuts down when a short occurs.  The the booster shuts off its output before the auto reverser can reverse, then the auto reverser will not be able to complete its mission.  I do not know if your booster has an adjustable output but if it does, set it for a longer time and try again.

A third possibility is that you do not have enough current available to properly throw the auto reverser.  If you short the rails together near the entrance of your loop, does your booster shut down?  If not, then the wiring is probably not heavy enough to give the auto reverser enough current to work properly.

If you have a simple reverse loop (one with only one way in and out) then you might consider eliminating the auto reverser completely and use the scheme shown here:

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/loop/loop.html
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Chesticus

OK I by passed my 5 amp power supply, and "viola" my reversing loops are now fully functional. So I guess that the 5 amp power supply is seeing the short before the MRC reversing loop modules can make the switch. Amy way you were right. I can now at least run my trains. But if I have all of my engines going ( and they all have sound), I may not have the power to run them. I guess it may be time to get a better DCC system.

Thanks for the input.

Chesticus