News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Kit Building

Started by Beatthe9ers, March 14, 2008, 09:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beatthe9ers

I’m smitten with some of the Branchline reefer cars but have been hesitant to buy any kits due to a total lack of experience and not wanting to get in over my head.  I would classify myself as a novice in the model train field, not even fully up to speed on all the lingo.

So what I am looking for is this…
A)   A list of all the equipment I would need to buy to put one of these kits together (exacto knife, glue, tweezers, whatever) as well as suggestions on specific types (like what brand of glue or what size screwdriver comes in handy).
B)   Any comments on Branchline kits in general.  Are they particularly hard to put together, fragile, of general poor or outstanding quality?

I told myself I wasn’t going to get into the model building side of things for a while, but looking at some of engineerkyle’s work has got me inspired.

Thanks
Parker

SteamGene

Branchline can make into a nice model, but take your time.  If you want to build kits here is what you need:
NMRA gauge
set of "hobby knives" 
set of Jeweler's screwdrivers
(both of the above can be bought very inexpensively if you look)
small needlenose pliars
l set smal of files. 
Kadee couplers plus Kadee washers.
appropriate paint and weathering material. 

This seems like a lot, but some things you probably have around the house.  In any event, they will last a long, long time.   You will soon find the need for a pen vise or two and small bits in the #60-#80 range.

Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Redtail67

SteamGene:

The vise you refer to..it looks like some I have seen for tying fishing flies. Where would I find the kind you refer t?

Redtail67

RAM

The pin vise holds the small bits in the #60-#80 range. check micromark.com if you do not have a local hobby shop.

Yampa Bob

Parker
Every modeler has a certain preference for cement, and it depends on whether you are building with styrene or laser cut wood.

For styrene my personal choice is Testor's #8872 liquid cement. It's not the runny "wicking" type. It's fairly thin, and comes in a bottle with a pin  point applicator tube attached.  If you try it, I believe you will like it.   I quit using the old tube cement, too thick and messy.

For wood some prefer a CA thin or medium, with an accelerator (kicker).  Others still prefer the regular alphatic type like Tite-bond.  I guess it's what you get used to. I only build with styrene, so there may be other choices for wood that I'm not aware of.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

Bob, I use ambroid proweld for plastic and Elmers carpenter glue for the wood. This glue is great for ship building and trains.

As far as vises, I'll refrain from listing mine if you don't mind :-[

Paul M.

Quote from: Beatthe9ers on March 14, 2008, 09:07:14 PM
I’m smitten with some of the Branchline reefer cars but have been hesitant to buy any kits due to a total lack of experience and not wanting to get in over my head.  I would classify myself as a novice in the model train field, not even fully up to speed on all the lingo.

So what I am looking for is this…
A)   A list of all the equipment I would need to buy to put one of these kits together (exacto knife, glue, tweezers, whatever) as well as suggestions on specific types (like what brand of glue or what size screwdriver comes in handy).
B)   Any comments on Branchline kits in general.  Are they particularly hard to put together, fragile, of general poor or outstanding quality?

I told myself I wasn’t going to get into the model building side of things for a while, but looking at some of engineerkyle’s work has got me inspired.

Thanks
Parker

Branchline kits are great, but if you want to find a kit that's easy to assemble, looks pretty good and is very durable, try the Athearn Blue Box kits. You should have no trouble finding them at you local hobby shop.

-Paul

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific