what color siding for a wild west structure? (2 pics)

Started by engineerkyle, March 15, 2008, 03:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul M.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

engineerkyle

Thanks Paul,

There should be plenty of room for a similar sign on the backside of Warhoop's.

EK

ps. Paint Gypsy yielded NO results in a google search. Thanks just the same.

Jim Banner

For a bit more information on Gypsy painters, take a look at these links:

http://dao2.elpasoco.com/scam.asp?ifile=gypsies

http://www.vincent.wa.gov.au/agenda/whatsnew/Media/Painting%20scam%20warning.pdf

Turns out they are still active in multiple scams and not just in North America.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

engineerkyle

Quote from: SteamGene on March 23, 2008, 01:46:55 PM
EK, the barn is sitting on a piece of syrofoam with some cardboard strips which will eventually be covered with plaster gause and get scenery.   But if you want to see it, I will try.
Gene

I'd (we'd?) like to see it. How long has it been unfinished?  ;)

Regarding the era of buildings. I figure you can't go wrong making them look pre-epa, pre-osha. Buildings last a long time and a train from 1972, like mine that runs between Alpena and Wyandotte (Semi-freelanced) probably passes many transition and even turn of the century structures that are still well maintained.

my 2 cents

SteamGene

Of you get the Blair Line decal set for barns - and they have several - I'd suggest hitting the sign with dulcote as soon as it's dry and snug.  I looked at mine and I"ll have to use another decal - the first one is cracked in two places.  I'm going to try to repair it first, but if not, I'll put the second best sign over it and dulcote it. 
BTW, as Paul's picture will point out, there were several different Rock City signs and done in different styles.  I don't think I ever saw one west of the Mississippi or north of the Ohio.  But throughout the southeast they were common.  I never drove on US 11 when it was a major highway, but I imagine almost every barn along it had a sign.  Same thing for US 70, probably. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

engineerkyle

Gene,

If I recall you are passionate about steam.

I also think it would be insane to dissolve a decal with dullcote... unless these "Blair Lines" use a different film than I am accustom to.

The piece never made it out west, by the way.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u293/engineerkyle/FOR%20SALE/wild%20west/lakeeriescene.jpg

I found the discussion about house paint color very helpful. I'd alway heard Red Oxide was used because it was common AND durable.

Jim, Thanks for the research on these scams. To bad my thread has words like SCAM and Gypsies in it... as those terms do not apply to my quality of work.

Set me straight if I am just imagining this, but it seems that, since I've gone pro, I get a lot more negative remarks on the forums.... not here so much, but others that have members who may see me competition?

SteamGene

EK,
Since when does dulcote dissolve decals?  Most folks use gloss, decal, and then dulcote at the end. 
I'm not sure I'm heard any negative criticism of your work - but the creator is often more sensitive than the viewer. 
I know that as a writer, I welcome any criticism of my work as long as it doesn't begin with a variation of "You are a jackass..."   :D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

WoundedBear

HEEEHAWW......lol

Gene's right Kyle.....dullcoat and decals do indeed mix. I dullcoat everything with Model Master's Flat Clear Laquer.

I know some people will say you can't possibly shoot laquer over acrylics or enamels, but this laquer is cool enough that you can. Just take it lightly......don't soak the decal....just a couple light mist coats.

It also works great after weathering powders to lock everything in place and give an even sheen to the overall appearance. Wish I had a pic or two....but I'm in the middle of packing and I'm lucky to still have a 'puter online.

Sid

SteamGene

EK,
You have an address?  I'll contact Cousin Luigi in Perth Amboy, New Jersey.  He's retired now, but from time to time he'll build a fish feeder as a personal favor.   :D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Yampa Bob

Kyle
I am 69 now and blissfully retired.  Throughout my life I have served in many professional capacities.  To be successful you have to grow a "thick skin".  I am also a very sensitive person, so sometimes the soft spots rise to the surface.

As Gene has said, there is criticism, and there is criticism.  But there is also jealousy. That's the one you have to deal with the most.  It is true that when your competition cannot bring their product or services up to your level, their only recourse is to cut yours down. 

I am above all a perfectionist.  My mother, who was also a teacher, taught me to either do a job perfect, at least to the very best of my ability, or not at all.  You are the only critic you have to worry about.  If you are 110% satisfied with your quality, then you don't have to worry about competition. 

I am proud to say that Mr. Vince Lombardi taught me personally that the only competition is the one I carry within myself. He also said "perfection is not attainable, but if you chase perfection you will catch excellence".

You have your dream, just set your path and stay on it, and you'll do fine.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Stephen D. Richards

Quote from: Yampa Bob on March 15, 2008, 01:32:06 PM
Back in the lead paint days, it seems the only colors they could produce were black, red, white and grey. Houses were white, barns were red, outhouses were grey, perhaps to "hide" them.  You didn't need to see the outhouse, you could find it in  pitch darkness, just follow your nose.  Been there.    :(

Some people tried mixing the  colors in various proportions, accounting for some strange colors.

Bob

Bob, just had to comment.  I don't know about out West but in the East, the reason the Outhouses were gray, was because we whitewashed them once in the Spring.  That color lasted just a couple of weeks and grandad considered the siding "protected".  Didn't take the sun long to bleach it out.  I was considered part of the "upper crust".  We had a two seater!  lol  Stephen