News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

K27 tender options

Started by az2rail, March 15, 2008, 09:03:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

az2rail

I am getting ready to buy a K27, but I am wondering about the tenders. Looking at the catalog, I see the back-up light in various locations. One style has it on the back on the tender mounted on top, another has the light on a stand [very cool], but some pictures don't show a light at all. Is it in the back side wall of the tender, or does it not have a light?

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Charlie Mutschler

The tender lights reflect the locomotive assignments of the prototype at the time modeled.  Back up light requirements have changed.  Today, the railroads are required to have a functional light at each end of a locomotive allowing operation in either direction.  Back in the steam days, the regulations were different.  Switch engines, which would operate more or less equally in either direction, running tender first half the time, were required to have a light for backing movements.  Locomotives in road service generally ran pilot first, and had a light for forward operation after dark.  So a back up light on the tender was not provided on many locomotives normally used only in road service.  In the 1930's, before being sold to the RGS, the D&RGW used No. 455 in road freight service, and a backing light was not required.  On the other hand, the model of D&RGW 453 with the dog house reflects its last years of service, as the Durango switcher.  A tender light was required, since switchers ran tender first approximately half the time. 

Another lighting matter:  Maybe you should turn the headlights off.  The prototype did not use headlights during daylight hours until the late 1950's. 

Happy modeling. 

Charlie Mutschler
-30-

az2rail

Charlie, THANK YOU for that, most informative. That explains what I needed to know, and it helps me make my choice of engine. I will be looking for either 453 or 463. Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.