News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track Cleaning

Started by tom, March 16, 2008, 09:45:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tom

I am new to large scale and would appreciate advice on cleaning Bachmann large scale track.  On my HO scale road I use Maas polish when I put the lines around the Christmas tree.  I then use a t\track cleaning car using 91% alcohol.  I tried the same procedure on my large scale track with far less desirable results.

Thanks in advance,

tom

Greg Elmassian

Just checking: are you using the Bachmann steel track (you can check with a magnet).

Indoors or outdoors?

Regards, Greg
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

tom

It is steel track, the magnet raises the track up when placed on a rail.  It is only used indoors.

tom

Mark Oles

I don't know how well it will work on Bachmann track, but try using LGB Smoke Fluid and some 800 grit wet sand paper.  I used that on my really nasty brass track and it cleaned it up no problem, and the sand paper didn't scratch the rail surface. 

I do not know if all smoke fluids work the same.  The LGB stuff really works well and does not leave a residue on the track.

Mark

tom

Greg Elmassian

Tom, I don't know the humidity where your layout is, but I would strongly encourage the use of something to inhibit rusting.

This might be wiping the rails down with a rag with wd40 on it, or possibly a track cleaning car that had some kind of light oil on it.

Of course you don't want to make the rails slippery, but the raw steel WILL rust, especially if you use something abrasive to clean the rail tops.

Wahl clipper oil has been a favorite of many smaller scales, and it's more of a light solvent that leaves a protective film. It's available on the net for reasonable prices.

Regards, Greg
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

Mark Oles

Tom,

I know this is Bachmann's board, but their track is not that great.  You would be better off looking at getting brass, stainless or aluminum track for a long term solution for track.

If you are running indoors, brass is probably the way to go.  If outdoors, using track power, I have found stainless to be the easiest solution.  If you plan to go battery,  brass or aluminum will work and be cheaper than stainless.

Mark

Paul W.

Hi Tom and welcome to large scale,
I have an indoor layout using Bachmann track. Even though it's not the best, I have had no problems with it inside. I have two loops, the inner loop is 47ln ft, and the outer is 56 ln ft.
I've used a San Val track cleaner mounted under a caboose. I also made a cleaning car that uses a sponge that I mounted under a caboose and I just add on track cleaning fluid. No special brand, just cleaning fluid from the local hobby shop. The sponge is held in place with two dowel rods I pushed through the sides so it will stay in place.
I really don't use that one as much as the San Val unit. Of course now San Val is closing down, but you can still find the cleaning blocks on ebay

Good luck
Happy Steamin'

Paul

Paul W.

Tom,
In case you're not sure what I'm talking about with the track cleaner, you can take a look here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRITE-BLOK-TRACK-CLEANER-FOR-G-SCALE_W0QQitemZ120234214427QQihZ002QQcategoryZ19157QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They do work nice!
Happy Steamin'

Paul

jsmvmd

Dear Friends,

Will ditto what Mark said about LGB smoke fluid. Does a nice job on my brass Aristo track and MTH O gauge track to remove crud but not discoloration.  For that I thank you for the tip to use 800 grit.

Per Jim Banner I put a drop of light lubricating oil (Jim, I hope I quoted you properly) on each rail of the O gauge and have had an increase in conductivity and less corrosion on a small oval of track with one track hook up.  A little too much oil and the wheels slip nicely, which my boys like, along with the prototypical chuff increase!

I wonder if a track cleaning setup like Gus del Castillo uses for HO scale would work for G (or is it F?  ;D ) ?

Best Wishes,

Jack