News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

keeping it real

Started by Gerryk, March 16, 2008, 12:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerryk

I want to add cars to my new Mogul 2-6-0 (1860s style), but I want to keep them the same era.  Can someone tell me where I can get images of 1860s cabooses, etc. to guide my buying?

TonyD

1st a question, where did you get an 1860's mogul? Is it brass? I don't know if I can link it here, but there is a good website in about detailing RTR cars and locos accurately- search for 'modeling the 1870's in HO/OO' something like that, and I will try to locate it too. Bachman freights are good, all the 'IHC/AHM/Rivarossi' generations of passenger and freights, are good starting points for more details, and the Mantua/Tyco cars, all of this stuff is on Ebay cheap. The MDC stuff is more 1880's and up, and their short passenger cars...too short really. They ae based on the one of a kind Seirra RR 'Hooterville Cannonball' shorties, which were made for a logging branch with very sharp curves and close rock cuttings, but look very good going around 15 or 18 inch curves. I picked up a recent poduction Bachmann Jupiter, and was impressed how much better it was from the ones I bought 20 odd years ago. As far as web sites, the Central Pacific / Cal RR museum has a site with pics, but there's nothing like owning books, tons of older well illustrated books out there cheap, that is the best resourse.   
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

TonyD

Yes, well, I thought this was the HO page... I read down and see that you have a 'GEE' scale mogul, wow, I've seen those, awesome machines! enough to make some one spend some money laying track outdoors... well, disregard everything I said up to the point of buying reference books, if you have a particular road or area in mind, search for books on that subject, I had good luck with ABE books? and a couple other 'consignment ' style websites. For real authentic colors that don't seem right to the 'purist' try the nevada state RR museum in Carson City. Yellows bordering on off white for freight cars and caboose combines that never had cuppolas, and the engines are all spit and polish to the day they were made. Again Cal RR mus. as well, B&O museum has lots of stuff in this age group too. But go for the books.... let us know how you are making out .... btw, pst this question on the large scale page too....   
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

grumpy

Roundhouse  make some very nice vintage cars . 50' Overland 4- car passenger set .
Don