News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Layout help need for my 5 yearold.

Started by bombcop, March 16, 2008, 12:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bombcop

Ok, I am not a big idiot, but sure feel like one trying to set up a train set for my five yearold. It is a very simple layout, an oval with an oval and a deadend between the two ovals using EZ-Track. There are three switches total. The switches are the automatic or electric. All conections are good. My issue is, when the train reaches the switches, it stops. I can push it through the switch and it will start up again. I read about putting power to the switch, but it is the plastic on the under side. I have even tried to find someone local I could pay to set the track up for me. What am I doing wrong?

Franz T

EZ track switches are power routing. i.e. they only send power to the leg that is selected (either curved or straight) but not both. This can be cured by having additional feeder to the track. Make sure all your connections between track pieces are good and put power feeds on BOTH ovals, making sure you maintain the correct polarity....

bombcop

Thank u Franz T,,, I kind of thought that might be the fix, but also didn't want to fry my 5 yearold. You ever a need a cop question answered, let me know.

Santa Fe buff

I'm not for N scale, but E-Z track switches, I am. Your locomotive may be stalling out on the plastic part of the rail on the switch, you could increase the locos. speed or power to make it over that, if that doesn't work, check your connections, if a conneter slide under another rail improperly, then electricity may not be getting to that section of track. I all connection are okay, then check your track or the rails. Are the rails competely inlinded, if they are just a little out of order- usaslly it's okay- but sometimes it's not, mostly with switches, if the engine enters the section of track okay but stalls. Then it could be track, try a test light on the section, if it lights up on the stalling part, then your okay, if not- your track should be replaced. This is not a threat of electricution, even with full power on the track, electricity can only be given out through a penny or something, even then, it isn't worse then a static spark, acculatlly less. The real electricity is inside the track. Your locomotive might also be the problem, Life-Like engines stall when they get older, but if their not Life-Like, then your engine may be at fault, call the service department of that engine and trouble shoot or something. Or take it into a local hobby dealer to see what they can do about it- That's all I have. :)-good luck.
- Joshua Bauer