News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Digitrax and EZ switched

Started by filmtrain, March 14, 2008, 10:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filmtrain

Finally purchased my Digitrax Zephyr and put in my decoders.  I am so happy and have only wrecked twoce today!  When I was running DC I never had any electrical problems but now it seems that my Locos want to short out when they hit an EZ Track turnout.  Any suggestions?

Yampa Bob

Some modelers use the term "short out" when they might mean "lose power". Please give more specifics about your problem.

1.  Do you see sparks, or does the breaker shut down the controller?

2.  Is there something dragging or catching, causing the loco or cars to stall or derail.?

3.  How many pickup wheels on your locos?

I'm not trying to "diagnose" a DCC problem, just trying to get more information, so that others more experienced with DCC might better answer your question.

Thanks

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

filmtrain

Hi Bob

It is only with one loco so I am thinking the problem may be with that engine.  I bought it new, but it had been sitting on the shelf for years.  It is a Life Like Proto 2000  GP30 L&N  it has (forgive my newbie ignorance here)  two sets of wheels in the front and two in the rear. 

When the loco gets to the switch it shuts down and the controller gives me a warning signal.  If I give a slight push to the loco it starts moving again.

The loco also slows down in some spots on the track which also leads me to believe it has something to do with the loco and not the switch.  Any advice on making this loco run better would be appreciated.  She is a beauty.

THB-DAVE

It sounds to me your wheels need a good cleaning. Hunt posted this away back and its still the best wheel cleaning instructions I have seen here.
* Locomotive wheels *
"Cut a Handi Wipes or the like in four inch strips, DO NOT use kitchen paper towel. Place one strip across the track and soak the towel part over each rail with about a half capful of Isopropyl Alcohol. Place one truck, for a diesel, on the wet towel and the other truck on the track. Hold the locomotive with one hand and slowly turn up the power pack throttle to spin the wheels. When these wheels are clean, turn the locomotive around and do the other truck. Spin as many wheels as you can at a time for steam locomotive. If wheels very dirty use “Goo Gone” (not recommended for use on rubber traction tires) all-purpose cleaner in place of the alcohol and gauze pad in place of the towel. After wheels are clean then spin wheels on dry towel to remove the cleaner residue. . If you are using DCC make an extra effort to remove the cleaner residue. Finish with very, very small amount of conductive contact lube on each metal driving wheel tread and electric pick-up rub points."
An alternative to alcohol is Aerolubes ACT 6006 cleaner. For very dirty wheels some type of paste metal polish can be used on the cloth to polish the wheel face then follow up with alcohol to remove residue
Dave.

filmtrain

Thank you very much, I'll give that a try this week.

What is great about this forum is that until Bob asked for more info, I never thought that the problem was with the loco, sometimes we all need someone to pick our brains to get the gears turning.