News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

TVRM SRR 630 restoration

Started by nickco201, March 17, 2008, 09:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickco201

How is the SRR 630's restoration at TVRM coming along ?
      I also had heard that for the 4501's 100th anniversary TVRM wanted to have it run again. Can anyone confirm this?
      The locomotive I would really love to see run is the Ps-4 1401.... but that will never happen due to other issues
            - Andrew

Woody Elmore

There was talk of running 1401 years ago when the engine was briefly moved to allow for some work at the Smithsonian. The people at the Smithsonian are extremely dedicated to preserving things and running the pacific could cause damage. THe debate is that the Smithsonian restores everything back to original condition so the PS-4 or the Korean War era mustang that they display should be in operating condition.

SteamGene

If the 1401 is in running condition, then how could running it cause damage?  I would think the main concern would be removing it from where it is and then getting it to some track.  Quite frankly, having an operating steam passenger train departing Union Station several times a day might be quite a draw.  Like at Steamtown, they could even charge and people would probably willingly pay. 
OTOH, the Smithsonian does not restore everything to service condition.  Consider the Enola Gay.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ebtnut

The 1401 is firmly planted within the History and Technology building of the Smithsonian.  In fact, they had to place the loco and then finish building the building around her.  I have no idea whether she is in "running condition"; that would depend on the condition of the firebox, boiler shell, flues, etc.  I suspect that those types of repairs may not have been done before the loco was donated.  Could she be made to run again?  Most likely, but only if the Smithsonian goes out of business and the building is torn down.  Not very likely in our lifetimes.

Woody Elmore

Running the engine could lead to damage - a derailment, for example. Also, there is no roundhouse crew handy to service the engine. Two big problems arise with steam engines - getting those pesky freight trains out of the way and insurance - a really big ticket item.

As for Enola Gay, I saw it when it was in pieces at  the Suitland storage facility. I think that maybe the B-29 was too big to restore to working condition. The Suitland facility is great - they have a Mig, the flying wing fighter prototype and lots of other interesting aircraft.

Speaking of WWII aircraft, I once visited the Imperial War Museum in south London, they had half a Mosquito airplane mounted on a wall.  Behind the plane is a mirror so it looked like the whole plane there. Maybe one of the British users of this board can tell me if the plane is still there.

nickco201

I was under the impression that the SRR gave the 1401 a full cosmetic restoration before giving it to the smithsonian. However there is a A&WP USRA heavy pacific in Duluth GA that they are trying to restore, the South Eastern RR museum just lacks the resources to do it. This would look very similar to a PS-4 with out the elesco FWH.
  How close is the SRR 630 to being finished at TVRM ? What about the SRR 722 at the great smoky mountain railroad ?
      - Andrew