News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Train will not run

Started by baysshack, March 18, 2008, 01:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baysshack

I just finished creating a train layout modeled after the  Atlas - Transbay Interwoven.  I cannot get the engine to run at all on the track. The headlights on the engine work but that is all. I have checked all connections and tryed 3 different engines. Does any one have any suggestions.

eddie

mm... maybe your power pack isint strong enough 
try using another powerpack

Pacific Northern

I checked the Atlas site to see what the layout was based on, amd there is no diagram showing the layout.

However, there is a parts list. There are a 10 switches and two crossings required for the layout.

I would suspect a short somewhere. Also helpful would be the information on your power pack.
Pacific Northern

Guilford Guy

If the lights work, it is not a problem with the track. When you tried the other locomotives do they have the same symptoms? What are you using for power? Do the locomotives have a DCC  decoder? It sounds like a problem with the locomotives...
Alex

SteamGene

Loco model (s) and builder (s) and size of power pack are needed for anything else.  If the lights work, it's not a short.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Pacific Northern

With 10 switches and two cross overs I wonder if there is a reverse loop anywhere on the layout?.

Makes it hard to speculate without a diagram of the plan.

What brand of track and switches are you using?

Pacific Northern

baysshack

The atlas plan can be found on train sets only web site. Everything is Bachmann. I have tried 3 different power packs. Will a reverse loop cause this because their is one. What do I need to correct the problem.

Pacific Northern

baysshack
Check the NMRA site for your basic wiring overview.

http://www.nmra.org/beginner/wiring.html

I assume your layout is DC and not DCC is that correct?

This is a good overview showing the use of isolators needed to shut off track sections or in the case of a reverse loop having to change the direction of the current.

Pacific Northern

pdlethbridge

Transbay Interwoven    Is this it?

You have some reverse loops that are shorting out the layout. Any track where a train goes and comes back on the same track in the opposite direction is a reverse loop

kevin2083

Track connected to the AC terminals instead of the DC terminals maybe?
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

Pacific Northern

Quote from: baysshack on March 18, 2008, 01:50:52 PM
I just finished creating a train layout modeled after the  Atlas - Transbay Interwoven.  I cannot get the engine to run at all on the track. The headlights on the engine work but that is all. I have checked all connections and tryed 3 different engines. Does any one have any suggestions.

baysshack

Did you ever get your layout running? What was the problem?
Pacific Northern

pdlethbridge

The layout is pictured above and has several reverse loops. SHORT CITY :o

SteamGene

Didn't they include a wiring diagram?  If not, the two wye turnouts begin rather large reverse loops.  The wiring of a reverse loop depends on whether you use DC, DCC, or (hopefully not) both.  What is the physical size of the layout?  In any event, I'd suggest finding the Atlas book on basic wiring and buying it. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Pacific Northern

Quote from: pdlethbridge on March 22, 2008, 11:14:33 PM
The layout is pictured above and has several reverse loops. SHORT CITY :o

That is what I had thought when baysshack posted the track parts. seeing there were crossovers and swithches it seemed the logical problem. Also the lack of reference to isolating any sections.
Pacific Northern

Yampa Bob

Baysshack did say the  lights worked, and said nothing about the breaker tripping. Are the lights bright or dim?

He did not say if the reverse loops were isolated, or if he was running DC or DCC.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,4952.0.html

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.