Spectrum 63" Ten Wheeler (4-6-0) and short radius curves....

Started by John Murphy, February 25, 2007, 11:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Murphy

For those of you who have short line railroads and must use a minimum radius of 15" or greater, the Ten Wheeler w/ 63" diam. wheels runs on this minimum.  Haven't yet gotten the 56" wheeled version to try, but this is great for me.  Haven't run it past ~ 7 volts straight DC so I don't know if the blue-white headlamp will turn true white or remain blueish-white as it does on 3 v. or less DC.  DCC comes later, but will come.  Kinda wish Bachmann would have put a "Warm White" (yellow-white) LED as headlight, but am sure if I go to DCC, the Ten Wheeler's light will be nearly white.  One last thing: If you run the 4-6-0 on 18" radius curves or sharper, use the end drawbar hole lest the tender hang-up on such a short radius curve....
    Now, all I must do is decal a tender for my Christmas railroad and one for the big seaside/mountain railroad I'm planning....
    John Murphy

caboose101

If you can get the high boiler 4-6-0 (63") to run on 15" track, the low-boiler (52") should be no problem.  I have Ma & Pa #27 (Bachmann #82302) running on 18" radius with the tenter on the short drawbar.  The trick is to get the two wire bundles free and clear.

The yellow-white headlight came on the 4-4-0 and is the nicest I have ever seen.

Bob