DCC install in Spectrum F40PH

Started by Diets, March 18, 2008, 07:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diets

Spent all afternoon installing the decoder, got er running, now to hook up the lights, had to change the bulbs to lower amps, pretty dull.   She seems to be running a lot slower than on DC, anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks.

Jim Banner

Chances are, the speed is more realistic on DCC than it was on dc.  Many dc power packs put out 16-17 volts at full throttle which really makes a 12 volt motor sing.  Why not see what throttle setting it takes to achieve a speed of one real foot per second.  That is almost exactly 60 miles per hour in scale which is near the maximum real life speed of this locomotive.

For brighter lighting, consider using LEDs with appropriate resistors.  Warm white LEDs and 1000 ohm resistors is a good place to start.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

jaellis

Hi,

I am curious about your lights.  I installed a decoder in a Spectrum F40PH also.  I haven't had any problems with how it runs.  The head and back lights I replaced with LEDs.  (I think they came with the decoder if I remember right.)  Anyway,  I haven't been able to make the strobes work and I was wondering if those were the lights you were talking about. 

Anyone have any ideas on this?  Should I replace the bulbs in the strobes?  I am also wonding if I simply don't have them hooked up right or I am not programing them right.

Thanks,
Jim

kevin2083

depending on the decoder, the strobe lights might be turned on with a different function than the other lights.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||