News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Problem while making #6 yard

Started by T-Lloyd, March 20, 2008, 07:54:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Lloyd

I just bought some code 100 #6 turnouts (atlas) (1 left 2 right) to make a small yard on my layout but after laying the left turnout and 1 right at 1 3/4" spacing. the 2nd right hand turnout when i try to lay it doesnt seem to be 1 3/4 spacing i have to move it a bit to get 1 3/4 but its not straight.

SteamGene

I think your problem lies in the mixing of rights and lefts.  Were all three to have the same diverging direction, you would be fine.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Atlantic Central

T-Lloyd,

First, 1-3/4" spacing is too tight.

Second, Atlas #6 turnouts are designed to give you 2" spacing, that is why you can't straighten out the next turnout.

Starting with a straight yard lead, and branching left, you will need a short straight piece, 1-1/2" I think, then your right hand turnout should give you 2" spacing. The next right hand turnout will join right to the last and give you 2" spacing there as well.

Sheldon

rogertra

Switch sizes are not sacrosanct.

You can cut them with a Dremel tool or a jeweller's saw.

To maintain your track spacing, simply cut and remove enough rail from the points end of the switch or the same amount from the frog end.  The points end is usually easier.

Atlantic Central

Roger,

What you say is very true, but Atlas Custom Line turnouts have long been designed to provide yard ladders with 2" spacing and crossovers with 2" spacing without any cutting.

One of the reasons I have long prefered them rather than those with a divirging route ALLWAYS has to be cut like Wathers/Sinohara.

Sheldon