News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Large Boilered Consolidation

Started by Don Gilham, March 18, 2008, 07:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Gilham

Hi Mr Bachmann - long time no post  :)

Is there any possibility that you might re-introduce the large boilered 2-8-0 brought up-to-date with DCC and that wonderful Tsunami Sound ?

Would fill a rather large gap  :)

the Bach-man

Dear Don,
Presumably you mean the Reading 2-8-0. As far as I know, the tool no longer exists, so a rerun is unlikely.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Don Gilham

That's the one !!

It's a great shame, because there isn't a ready-to-run Large boilrered Conso on the market - a HUGE gap.

Rather that produce models that other maunufactureres do (for instance the renowned K4) why not produce something that is needed ?  :)

:)

EDIT :

Sorry Bachhy I've just realised that IHC do a large boilered Conso.  Hmmmmmmmmmmm,  I'd much rather have a Bachmann built model.  S'pose it's the difference between buying a Ford or a Rolls Royce (sorry, Cadillac) and I know which I'd rather have  ;)

SteamGene

Don,
I have one of the IHC Consolidations and it's a nice model.  You might wait a bit as IHC is going out of the cookie cutting business and it may be next.  Unlike their other steam, it comes with an operating front coupler. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

TonyD

A glimmer of hope in the gloom of long gone dies and tooling, the old Reading shells WILL fit the specrum 2-8-0's with no real work to speak of. A good idea to get it fixed to the chassis rather than just sit there with gravity, but they do look like a massive machine, especially if you swap tender shells with a taller one.
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

japasha

Don,

You might hit a few swap meets and find a good used example of the Reading 2-8-0 and then buy a Bowser motor conversion kit. This comes with a completely new drivetrain and will pull much better than the original.  I have some other Bachmann 4-8-4s with those conversions and it is solid, even Gene would be impressed.

SteamGene

Bowser does a great job with motors, gears, and running gear.  They add a nice amount of weight, too.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

r.cprmier

That Reading 2-8-0 is the one with the Wooten firebox, right?  I remember about twenty years back, when Bachmann had it interchanged with a Mike and a Vanderbilt tender, and it was an impressive beast to behold.  it was rather interesting to me, as (they) had it as a B&O Mike.  Ummmmhmmmm.

Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Pacific Northern

When I first unpacked my old model railroad equipment a couple of years ago I noticed I had one of the old Bachmann Reading 2-8-0's.

I remember that I had run it  a couple of times but was not impressed with it.  It was my one and only steam engine with smoke.  I tried in on a test track and nada, no lights, no hum, nothing at all.

I repacked it with a number of other old items that I thought I would never use. I had thought that I might one day send it and a money order to Bachmann and see what is offered as a replacement seeing it is no longer in producation.

Perhaps obtaining a NWSL drive is something I should explore.
Pacific Northern

Don Gilham

Brilliant ideas, thanks guys  :)

There you go Bacchy, a LOT of interest in a large boilered Conso.  Food for thought, perhaps ?

r.cprmier

If you can find the moulds, try a small number run of just the body, and see what happens.  There are several avenues for guys (like me) to build up a great locomotive.  My first choice of weapons would be a 2-8-0 mechanism from Bowser and a slew of the usual Cal-Scale detail parts-this time, sans the Elesco Feedwater heater.  I bet a great running steed worthy of acclaim could be done.  You wouldn't even have to do the cab-Greenway has a USRA cab that can be adapted.

Rich
Rich

TonyD

I don't know if you ran across this one Rich, but 2 or 3 years ago at the big E there was a young lady with a crate, well, crates, of bachmann Reading boiler shells, just the shells, I guess its tender shells and some other diesel shell stuff, but she could do well on this thread huh? A dollar a piece. I fired up my 2-8-0 with one of those shells, as a D&H superhog, I guess just like the real ones, she fills up the loading guage, high wide and not so handsome.....

r.cprmier

Tony;
Just think what an Elesco feedwater heater would do...  The thing would look like a battering ram with a Hillary butt.

Rich
Rich

TonyD

"I'm sorry congessman, I must decline to comment on this matter without the presence of my attorney".......