News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

tender doghouses

Started by nickco201, March 19, 2008, 03:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickco201

I am in the process of detailing some locomotives and need a source for tender doghouses. The only 1 I could find was a PRR style from cal scale I believe.
     Any ideas ?
Also has anyone done a SRR Ks, Ks-1, or Ks-2  2-8-0 in HO brass ?  I am seriously thinking about how I could change the Bachmann 2-8-0 to SRR valve gear.
         - Andrew

Matt Bumgarner

Andrew,

Overland Models did some Southern Railway K's a few years back. They pop up on eBay from time to time.

You might want to join the Southern Railway Historical Association (www.srha.net). There was a two-part article in their newsletter within the last year or so about converting a Spectrum 2-8-0 into a more presentable SR locomotive, including a valve gear treatment.

While the current spectrum 2-8-0 really ushered in an era for superbly priced and excellent running steam engines, us SR-fans long for a smaller-boiler/correct cab/Southern valve gear unit.

Matt Bumgarner

nickco201

Matt-
   I've modified a few Bachmann locos to give them the "southern" look, but haven't messed with valve gear yet. I will have to say that I haven't had a whole lot of time recently to work on the HO stuff..... I'm also pretty heavily involved with 7.5 inch gauge live steam. I am about 1/3 finished with a 1.6 inch scale SRR Ps-4 built basically from scratch. Right now I have a rolling chassis with front and rear trucks finished, the next thing to start on is the cylinders, rods, baker valve gear.   
       The other locos in 7.5 I would love to do would be a Ms-4, Ks-1, a N&W A and a ET&WNC ten wheeler..... but at the rate Im going with the Ps-4 it will take a while. I have spent about a year so far working on it.
    One thing I would really like is to get actual SRR green paint for it, I'm not sure where though.  I probably will contact TVRM at some point.
        - Andrew