News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

British Toolings?

Started by StanierJack, March 19, 2008, 04:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StanierJack

Just out of curiousity, were/are any Bachmann Branchline toolings used in American ranges except for the Thomas range. I seem to recall a few items.

Hamish K

The Hogwarts express, when Bachmann made it (they no longer have the US rights) used British Hall class tooling and standard british BR MK 1 coaches re-liveried. This reflected the film, for the film a preservered Hall class loco was painted red and renamed 'Hogwarts castle' (the books don't specify the loco class).

A few years ago Bachmann released an Irish set in the USA, this used British Southern railway "n' class 2-6-0 tooling - very similar locos did run in Ireland.

Many years ago Bachmann released Royal Scot and Flying Scotsman sets in the USA - these were not close to the prototypes having the wrong liveries and, in the case of the Flying Scotsman at least,  the wrong class of loco. However they did I presume use British tooling.

Hamish.

StanierJack

I forgot about the Hogwarts Express. Someone I know has one because it's the proper prototype.

I remember seeing the Royal Scot set, if I remember correctly, was the locomotive Blue with Gold lining?

Hamish K

Yes, the locos in the Royal Scot set were blue, but no real Royal Scot class loco was blue. Royal Scot was also the name of a train, hauled by other classes of Locos during some periods - but the Bachmann loco was based on the Royal Scot class loco.

Hamish

StanierJack

Quote from: Hamish K on March 21, 2008, 09:17:52 AM
Yes, the locos in the Royal Scot set were blue, but no real Royal Scot class loco was blue. Royal Scot was also the name of a train, hauled by other classes of Locos during some periods - but the Bachmann loco was based on the Royal Scot class loco.

Hamish

Thank you for responding. Are there any pictures of the said set or others? I have seen both the Irish and Hogwarts.

Hamish K

See the following for a Bachmann "Flying Scot" set http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/bachmannhoscaletrainsets/id48.html

If I remeber correctly the Royal Scot was similar except that the loco was blue - not sure about the coaches.

The loco is a Royal Scot  class, the "Flying Scot" is not a real train, the "Flying Scotsman", which is,  was never hauled by a Royal Scot class loco.

As I mentioned before Royal Scot class locos  were never blue, although the Royal Scot train may well have been hauled by a blue pacific loco of the Princess Royal or Princess Coronation classes at some stage.

Note that British Bachmann has released other Royal Scot sets for the UK market with correctly liveried locos, but these were not sold by Bachmann in the US.

Hamish