News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Running a DCC Spectrum on DC

Started by rustycampos, March 19, 2008, 09:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustycampos

I have a Spectrum DCC 2-8-0 that I want to run on DC.  I have to crank up the controller (Tech4 350) all the way to get it to move even slowly.  This happened just out of the box.  I have lubricated it with no effect.  Other Spectrum DC steam runs fine on this track.  Any suggestions?

Garybear2

Quote from: rustycampos on March 19, 2008, 09:03:22 PM
I have a Spectrum DCC 2-8-0 that I want to run on DC.  I have to crank up the controller (Tech4 350) all the way to get it to move even slowly.  This happened just out of the box.  I have lubricated it with no effect.  Other Spectrum DC steam runs fine on this track.  Any suggestions?

I own two Spectrum DCC 2-8-0's that were acquired about a year apart.  I have been most pleased with their near identical performance under DC power using a MRC Tech II for power.  While I am most pleased with their low speed capability, faster speeds are no impediment.  [I specify my power supply only to thoroughly specific.]

ripvanwnkl

I have Bachmann Spectrum DCC/sound model #11413 SOU 2-8-0 Road #722.  Instructions with it specify NOT to run on DC so I have never tried.  It runs and sounds great on DCC. 
Dave
USAF (Retired)

*hobby*

I have a Union Pacific 2-8-0  that wouldn't run at all in reverse on DC.  On DCC it ran poorly in reverse and had to be cranked  way up with the throttle. Forward was OK in performance on either DC or DCC. I fixed both problems with the reverse by re-programming the decoder under DCC. The only explanation I have is that somehow the decoder got scrambled  at the factory as the engine was brand new. I don't think the decoder is all that great in quality either. The DCC instructions are pitiful as well - not even reset instructions!
Good luck.

Charles

Yampa Bob

Dave
Is your connie an older model?  The 2007-2008 catalog lists yours as model 84503, and DC compatible, road number 721. I didn't realize Bachmann had sound before 2007, but that is the earliest catalog I have. That's interesting.

Bob

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

ripvanwnkl

Bob,

I bought my Spectrum 2-8-0 in late 2004, factory equipped with Soundtraxx, Release 2.0.  Decoder manual that came with it is dated 2002.  It's one of my grandson's and my very favorite locos for running and sound!

Since #722 was used for Southern steam excursions, we have it pulling five old Scenemaster SOU HW passenger cars, our own little "Carolina Special".   
Dave
USAF (Retired)

rustycampos

Thanks to everyone for their comments.  They remind me of two things that might be relevant:
1. The model number is 83605.
2. The box contains jumpers and instructions for removing the decoder and installing dummy plugs.  It doesn't say why I might want to do this.  I will try it on Tuesday, unless someone tells me differently.
Thanks,
Rusty
PS,
Normally I can spell Spectrum.

Yampa Bob

Rusty
If you want, you can "modify" your first post and correct the title.  Look for the modify box upper right within your post.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Garybear2

Rusty, one of my two Spectrum 2-8-0's, the newer one, is also model 83605 (DCC w/o sound).  Mine does not share your difficulty RE: DC power.  -Gary