News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

OK Bach'man, whats next???

Started by vic, March 20, 2008, 07:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vic

OK, now that the Elephant engine (cant get much bigger than a K-27 ;) ) has been delivered, is B'mann going to next do more of a Dove in comparison?

Seams to me thats a pattern, we had the Railtruck, then the 3 truck Shay, then the revamped Porter, now the K, so that indicates to me something a tad smaller should be next on the Storks delivery schedule.

So can you give us any kind of hint as to what this years big announcement will be, or when it will be announced, even just the words, Big or Little, will suffice  ;D

I'm really hoping for something like a small Forney or a Mason Bogie or something friendly to the R1's on my tight little mining layout. Please dont forget about us, theres still a few of us out here. :o

What I would really drool over would be a 0-4-4 Porter like those used on the Arizona Copper Company RR. :o

the Bach-man

Dear Vic,
I'll tell you as soon as I can- probably at one of the summer conventions...
Anticipate!
the Bach-man

Paul W.

I'd still like to see a T-boiler in large scale

Happy Steamin'

Paul

Lee Carlson

Before Kevin and Matthew say it, put me down for an EBT Mikado.
But of course, you already know that, B'mann!

Lee

Lee Carlson
President,
NYS&W -- Niantic, Yantic, Scantic & Willimantic Traction Co.

VirginiaCentral

I'm still anticipating that ventilated boxcar in Fn3 :)

Jerry
Jerry Kay
Big Sandy & Cumberland Garden Railroad
Virginia Central & New River Railway & Navigation Co.
"I love the smell of coal smoke in the morning!"

CCSII

How about a cute little C&S Mogul to show LGB how it should really be done?

Kevin Strong

I have to admit, a C&S mogul would be pretty cool, or a Waynesburg & Washington mogul (after the EBT Mikado, naturally!) I still think the market's ripe for an inside-frame C-19 (or similar) 2-8-0. Heck, I might even take one of those before the EBT mikado.

So far as rolling stock goes, now that AMS has brought out their J&S coach, I'd love to see Bachmann offer some kind of an alternative. As much as I'd like to see an EBT prototype, I can't help but to think something along the lines of the ET&WNC's elegant closed-vestibule coaches with their arched window groups would make GREAT candidates. They had a business car and RPO built to the the same plans, so a great-looking train could be assembled. It would definitely be a different look to what AMS released. (Though I wouldn't argue in the least with an EBT prototype--just not combine #18 - I already built that one. Maybe one of the ex-BRB&L cars? Do coach #8, and then the M-1 to pull it!)

For freight equipment, keep the "modern" theme started with the tank cars going with the EBT's steel box car. Those outside braces are so visually different from any wood box car on the market.

Ain't speculation fun?

Happy Easter!

Later,

K

leftyfretguy

On Easter morning I am reminded of the old saying "What came first, the chicken or the egg - who cares as long as the EBT mike is next!"  At least that is how I remember it. :P
Since I am posting I will add my $.02
I think that the EBT 2-6-2 #11 would be a perfect fit for bachmann.  The engine  would fit in perfectly on a railroad running bachmann 4-6-0s. They obviously have the "family resemblence", they are small and could make 4' diameter curves, plus they would look good pulling 1:20.3 or 1:22.5 rolling stock.  I really think that engine would be a winner with everyone not just ebt fans.
And one other thing I think is lacking in the 1:20.3 market is a snow plow!  I just think the aristo one is ugly - plus its 1:29, if bachmann built a plow, I promise to buy one!
Happy Easter!
Matt

Kevin Strong

Quote from: leftyfretguy on March 23, 2008, 01:29:35 PM
I think that the EBT 2-6-2 #11 would be a perfect fit for bachmann.  The engine  would fit in perfectly on a railroad running bachmann 4-6-0s. They obviously have the "family resemblence", they are small and could make 4' diameter curves, plus they would look good pulling 1:20.3 or 1:22.5 rolling stock. 
Number 11 is actually far closer to the B'mann 2-8-0 than the 4-6-0. The tender is almost exactly the same size, as is the boiler diameter and total wheelbase. The cab would be around 1/4" narrower, but just as tall. Note that #12 (the mikado) was essentially #11 with a 4th driving axle, so it would be right about the same size--just longer. I'd be a bit concerned with how it would look with the 1:22 equipment based on the fact that it would be visually just as massive as the 2-8-0.

Don't get me wrong--I'd be ecstatic with a #11, too (though that would definitely render my 5-year quest for proper 48" drivers a waste of time) but in terms of product offerings, my thoughts lead me to think that I could do #12 (then nos. 14 and 15) as one "size" of locomotive, and do something smaller like the C&S or W&W mogul as a smaller size offering to appeal to those who want smaller locos. Number 11 is a great compromise if I were looking to offer one or the other, but if offering both over time is an option, I'd go that route instead.

Later,

K

leftyfretguy

I never realized 11 was that big.  I have not seen that many pictures of her to get a size comparison.  Thanks for the info!
But I still believe we need a snow plow Mr Bachmann!  (after the ebt mike of course) ;D
Matt

vic

I just hope whatever is next will work on my indoor layout, thats why I would hope for something smaller next time out. The K is a real beauty but its completely beyond my current means both layout and cost wise. :(

soleman10

Ok, since we're putting in .02 cents, here's mine.  Bachmann already has the trucks for the shay and climax.  What would be so difficult to produce a flat car with  a vertical boiler, water tank, and wood fuel bunker and a choice of full length roof or shortened with either 2 cylinders on the side for a shay, or in the center for a climax?
Sounds like a natural to me.  I'll take one of each!

CCSII

Back to the C&S Mogul -

With apologies to Southern Steam Trains who are Aster dealers (this image appears on their site.) This engine has such charming proportions and if needed, the beartrap were removed and the air tank moved it could "play well" with a lot of layouts.

I could also browse e-bay and not think "those dad-gumed LBGer's really didn't do that one justice" every time I see one of their toy Moguls up for sale.

Phil Stump

I am still voting for a spectrum 1:20.3 10 wheeler

Wade Colyer

Well, I might as well throw in my 2 cents worth:

1 a 1:20.3 class A Climax

2 a 4-4-0 and a 4-6-0 in both 1890  ( st boiler, fluted domes, wood cab, wood tender, balloon stack ) and 1910  ( tapered boiler, round domes, steel cab, coal tender, st stack ) design sharing a lot of parts to keep production costs down and in a size  that would look good in both 1:22.5 and 1:20.3 ( something like the old FED HOn3 brass engines from our youth, B-Man )

3 1:22.5 pulp wood cars  ( like the new On30 ones )

4 a 2 pack of 1:22.5 flat cars in narrow gauge names and 2 different numbers

5 an EBT tank car in 1:22.5 and some other 1:22.5 cars ( a few each year )  in different NG road names

and before someone jumps in and says no one buys 1:22.5 any more, well your wrong. Alot of people still do and don't need or want the finer detail of the 1:20.3 items.

Stay narrow minded

Wade