Tim

Bob

Way too organized.

how can you get anything done??

Tim Anders
Souderton,PA

Yampa Bob

Hi Tim
As you can see, I'm running behind in my documentation and posting.  I had to take a break from trains for summer hay harvest.

In answer to your question, I spent many years working on assembly lines, first at Goodyear, then at a large midwest optical factory, then assembling small electronic components on an instrument of my own design for NASA.  I'm used to a progressive order of work and near absolute precision.

Whether I have only one car to rebuild or 50, the process is always orderly.  I have to disagree, at least for me there is no such thing as being too organized.  Spending 6 years in the military probably had something to do with that. 

Since my retirement, my priorities sometimes get out of order, but for me it's a relief from all those years of strict deadlines. Today I am totally independent, as you can probably tell.  :D
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Jhanecker2

Bob : Your work place looks fine.  Mine is usually a mess . I try to organize work areas and sometimes suceed for a little while but invariably forget to return tools to their places and materials to their racks.   I do admit to trying to keep lawn and yard equipment in the barn where it is easier to find them, but have had one lawn tractor in the shop with a faulty trans since last summer hoping to feel guilty enough to drop the rear axle and find out where I misplaced the neutral gear position. Too many hobbies and vices not always enough time ,money, or motivation.

Yampa Bob

I can prove today's products are over engineered.  Whenever I put something back together there is always at least one piece left over, but it still works.

rogertra

A neat and tidy work bench/desk is the sign of a sick mind.

Jhanecker2

When I was helping to repair machine tools I often had that same condition come up . Could never figure out how that came to be since I was the one disassembled and cleaned the parts.  Strange universe!!! john II

Yampa Bob

Yesterday my wife was vacuuming the carpet in my office and heard a slight "clink." We checked the canister and sure enough, found a tiny screw.  One of my locos is missing a screw but I have no clue which one.

One time I was on my hands and knees, running a hand over the carpet, trying to find a tiny spring too small to see.  My wife happened to walk by in the hall, and just shook her head. 

This will undoubtedly draw another wise crack from Paul.  :D

Jhanecker2

In regards to small borderline visible springs I know what you are talking about .  I started  assembling  some  Kadee Couplers and lost two of the copper color coil springs from the Knuckle  and possibly one of the steel color coil springs just about the same size .  I am seriously thinking about pricing a stereo microscope for assembly of fine parts. I also think one of those jeweler's aprons would help somewhat as well .  Thank God I had some small clamps and  "C" clamps in the shop .    Needed three or more hands to accomplish some things was lucky I had  one of those third hand clamping devices for soldering parts in the desk drawer. The magifying lense helped a little.  Ran out of the shop to go get Eggs from a neighbor and had my magnifier  on my head & left it in sisters truck .  She left for work on Monday and wont be back till Sunday earliest . Should probably break down and buy a spare to combat forgetfullness .

RAM

Six inches of tread will save a million kd springs.  When replacing the springs, run a tread in the spring.  If it tries to fly it
can't take off.  Once the spring is in place just pull the tread out. Slowly.  It works every time.

bevernie

Quote from: RAM on September 11, 2008, 10:43:22 PM
Six inches of tread will save a million kd springs.  When replacing the springs, run a tread in the spring.  If it tries to fly it
can't take off.  Once the spring is in place just pull the tread out. Slowly.  It works every time.

GREETINGS!! ;D
        In the given context of this writing, it would appear that "tread" should be "tHread". Is my understanding correct?
                                                                                          THANX!!
                                                        8)                                 Ernie
P.S.
        If my understanding IS correct, then it is a very good idea, and I appreciate it!!
                                                                                              ECD
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

Robertj668

I Would love to see a video on the conversion!
Robert

Yampa Bob

Hi Robert, thanks for reviewing my thread.

Unfortunately I'm not able to produce videos of the conversion. However, if you follow the instructions carefully you shouldn't have any problem. The main thing is to acquire the necessary stryene tubing and cement, available at most hobby shops.

If you need additional information I will be glad to assist you via email. 

Regards.

pdlethbridge

Quote from Bob: This will undoubtedly draw another wise crack from Paul.  Cheesy

Bob, Did your wife ever take a picture of you searching for the spring? I would have told you to wait a few months, its on the calender. 
Probably looked like one of those flat painted things of a farmers backside that people put in there garden

Its never too late to crumb on Bob!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Len

I find the simplest way to find dropped springs, screws, etc., is to walk across the floor after dark,  barefoot, with the lights off.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Yampa Bob

My office / shop is carpeted. If I drop a small part, it usually grows legs and ends up 10 feet away, hiding behind a box or table leg.  8)