News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Decapod Decoder Installation

Started by monhegan, March 21, 2008, 09:34:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monhegan

Hi All,

I've just searched this message board and read all I could find regarding decoder installation on the DCC-ready Russian Decapod.

Here's the problem. I'm new to DCC, but successfully installed a half dozen Digitrax decoders in DCC-ready Spectrum steam locomotives this week.

However, when it came to the Decapods, my installation of the Digitrax DH123P or DH123PS (short cable) resulted in nothing; no power or signal at all seems to be getting through. I tried two different Decapods, bought at different places and at different times. They are both unlettered versions, which means that several of the parts, including the boiler front are not installed from the factory. Granted, I didn't install these parts prior to attempting to run the engine, but I don't see any electrical connections that involve the boiler front.

Reading other posts, I hear talk of cutting capacitors, etc. What am I missing here? Something is making these two engines different than the other DCC-ready units for which I've successfully installed decoders (4-8-2, 4-6-0, 2-8-2--all unlettered versions).

Thanks for any help.

Bradley Hendershot
Perkiomen Valley Railroad

kevin2083

Although I'm not familiar with the insides of the decapod, the capacitors you would want to cut are C1 and C2. They are yellow and should be labeled on the PCB. The problem you're describing doesn't sound like a capacitor problem though. The first thing that comes to my mind is that the plug has been put in backwards.

Hope you get them running soon
Kevin
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

monhegan

Well, I'm replying to my own post; I wish I could retract my original query to the group.

Have you ever felt REALLY stupid???!!! I went into the railroad room a little while ago, and gave the two Decapods one last try just to see if there was something obvious that I'd missed, and boy was it obvious! I guess I really am new to DCC, but we all have to learn sometime.

It seems that the factory settings were such that I had to power up the throttle to a really high speed output to get the thing to move. And that's all!

After installing maybe half a dozen other decoders, all of the other locomotives started to move at a much lower level. I never thought I'd have to turn the throttle up that high, and, for whatever reason, didn't even try.

I guess I'll just have to adjust some of the CV's for the decapods, once I educate myself on that aspect of the DCC experience!

Thanks to all who read the post, and are laughing while reading this one!

Bradley Hendershot
Perkiomen Valley Railroad

GN.2-6-8-0

Would doubt anyone is laughing....all of us have to relearn things when it comes to DCC and DCC with sound.
First thing i did was to print out the manuals and put them in binders for our club members.....Now if i could just get them to read'em!!  ::)
Rocky Lives

Woody Elmore