News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum frame alloy

Started by gcodori, March 31, 2008, 03:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gcodori

I am planning on doing a kitbash of a spectrum 2-6-6-2 (HO scale).  I would need to cut/file (don't have a milling machine) the top of the frame down slightly so i can mount a smaller diameter boiler.

What material is the frame made out of?  What method would be best for cutting or filing the frame down?

Of course I would need to disassemble the chassis in order to not get shavings in the mechanism.

Any thoughts?

the Bach-man

Dear G,
It's a white metal alloy (Spectralloy?)(Thanks, TP!) I don't know its composition, though. I'd use a Dremel tool.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Steve Magee

People might recoil in horror, but I have used a 4" angle grinder with success on an On30 Mogul chassis. Cutting disk to make channels to run wires in, grinding disk for stock removal.

Regards

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Aust

r.cprmier

The material is similar, of not the same as, what is known in the printing industry as pot metal; it is used for plates, linotype machines, etc.  This is usually a combination of tin, antimony; or zinc and (?).

At any rate, it is a fairly easy to work with, albiet somewhat tenacious alloy.  It will produce good results with decent tools.  The older "Zamac" castings used to develop cracks; I believe this was due to internal stresses, but stand to be corrected.  As always, use eye protection, and do plan ahead.
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Yampa Bob

I'm always afraid of getting filings inside the casting or motor, so I mask off all the cracks.   The metal gums up easily like aluminum, so I use a fairly coarse flat bastard file and work slowly.   A stiff toothbrush is handy to clean off the filings.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

r.cprmier

Bob;
If you are going to do any machining on a frame, you should strip the frame of any and all components, especially those that potentially could be damaged or otherwise affected by said operation.  There is not much worse than sweating out whether or not some tenacious metral like brass, samac, etc, is lodged in a bearing surface; or worse, in the movement of an rotor/stator relationship of a motor.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Yampa Bob

I agree for a major machining job.  When I stretched a Connie chassis into a "Mikado" I only had to do minor filing on the rear chassis so there was no reason to strip it down.  I just covered the rest with Saran wrap and tape.

I prefer using a coarse file to keep the stuff from flying all over the place.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

gcodori

since I will be taking the entire top off the frame - I will dis-assemble the entire thing and screw the frames together in order to take equal amounts off. 

I do not have the loco yet (won't buy until I'm absolutely sure about the chopping).  Does anyone know if the motor fills the entire boiler (width wise)?

It looks like it does not - according to the diagrams for dis-assembly.  It looks like a narrow slot in the bottom of the boiler.  can anyone confirm?

Greg