News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

SOUND DECODER FOR THE NKP BERKS WITH DCC ?

Started by WRGMILW, March 21, 2008, 03:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WRGMILW

HI THERE !

What sound decoder do I need for the Bachman NKP BERKs with DCC ?

I want to add sound to my two berks ! (759 & 765) .

MR BACHMAN CAN YOU HELP  WITH INFO ?

THANKS
WRGMILW in Wisconsin !

the Bach-man

Dear WRG,
Try Soundtraxx. Their sounds are available on their site.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Super Chief

I used a Soundtraxx DSD-101LC Heavy Steam Sound Decoder. All you have to do is plug in the decoder in to the 8 pin socket & solder 2 wires to a speaker. A 1.25" speaker is too big. Anything less than that should work.

Frisco

I would recomend ESU . They have an 8-pin plug so it is easy to install and at least to me sounds better .

SteamGene

I just installed the older MRC steam decoder in my Kanawha with not problem.  Of course I have not tried programing it yet.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

robertjohndavis

Hi,

If you do a search on this board you will find an older thread where I discussed putting a Tsunami in a Berk along with the QSI super bass speakers.

I chose the Tsunami for ease of installation (pop off the wire harness it comes with and pop on a plug harness and it drops in) and because it matches the impedance of the QSI speakers which I swear by now.

I do not like the sounds of the ESU chip at all - even with the programmer, it just doesn't match the Tsunami. However, neither of them come close to QSI, so I am now holding off on more installs until the aftermarket QSI board comes out this year.

I do not use MRC decoders for anything. They are the least reliable out there, and the sound is iffy at best. Of course, that is my opinion, others may disagree and their opinions are as valuable as mine, so take it with a grain of salt.

Rob

SteamGene

Could you be a bit more specific about "popping off" and "popping on" the wire harness of the Tsunami?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"