News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Command cable

Started by jjanseni, March 21, 2008, 05:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjanseni

Does Bachman sell a longer modular plug-in cable that goes from the EZ commander to the track or do you have to cut the cable and make up your own cable? I would love to purchase this instead of splicing. I need at least a 10 foot cord but 15 foot would be even better. Thanks for any suggestions.

Yampa Bob

JJan
I've seen similar requests, and I'm a bit puzzled.  Do you stand 15 feet away from your track while operating, or are you trying to walk around to the far side?

If it is the latter, Bachmann makes an "Easy Companion" remote controller.  First you have to install a panel on the other side of the layout to plug in the controller.  The panel comes with the extra wiring you will need.  If you have a large layout, you can have several panels at convenient locations.

Yampa Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

hotrainlover

JJan,
I have asked the same question, earlier.  I need various lengths of this cable.  I had heard of "Making your own cable" elsewhere....

Mr. Bachmann,
Are the connectors for this system that one could buy and then make their OWN lengths.  I guess that I need to know if these connections are "Bachmann" specific, or are standard connectors??

Yampa Bob

HO
I imagine the connectors are proprietary to Bachmann equipment.  I still go back to the same question, why do you need such long leads?  I'm just curious.

However, Bachmann does make  2 types of extension cables with the plugs attached.  One is a 3 wire green for turnout switches.  I have one at hand and I can verify it has male plug on one end, a female plug on the other. The other cable set is a 2 wire red, from the picture on the site it appears to have a plug attached.  I enlarged the picture, but can't tell if it plugs in to controller or simply an extension to the supplied cable.  I will venture a guess that it completely replaces the supplied cable set as it is described as a "terminal wire".

http://www.discounttrainsonline.com/Bachmann-EZ-Track-Terminal-Wire-10-Red/item160-44498.html

Bob

the Bach-man

Dear HO,
They are indeed standard connectors.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

hotrainlover

Bob,
I feel that we are talking about two different cables...

I need various lengths of the Square 8 pin (?)  cable that comes with the panels or Walk around companion.  It connects from the EZ-Command to the panels.  I also NEED to connect the panels over 8 feet apart, and the current cables are exactly 8 feet long (not including having to bend them to connect).
I had read SOMEWHERE, my mind is slipping, that it was possible to make these cords, and that there was a crimping tool, and connectors for this...
Of course I was NOT paying attention then......

Thanks for the response!!

PHENICUS

For the walk around companion and its panels, I believe that is standard CAT5 computer network cable. You can get it in various lenghts. You can also make your own lengths from parts available at home depot, radio shack, etc...

Yampa Bob

HO
Ok, I see what you want now.  The first posts in this thread said "From the EZ Command to the tracks". 

Bob

prebres

That connector is a Cat5 (category 5) twisted pair (4 pairs - 8 wires) used in computer networking. You can but lengths from 3 feet up to 100 feet at any computer resale establishment or even Wallyworld. But, and this is a big one: I do not know what pin-outs Bachman is using. So you use this at your own risk. Also know that there are two basic types of cables: a straight through, and a crossover. My guess and this is only a guess is that it would be a straight through Cat5 T568B patch cable.

PHENICUS

Prebres, you are correct. This thread started out being about how to extend the power adapter cord for the Digital Commander, and then switched somehow to being about the walkaround companion.

I think the questions to both parts of the thread have been answered nicely.

Strange how threads develop...

Yampa Bob

Here is a link for information on CAT5 cables:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable

At the bottom are links explaining the cable and how to make your own.

Connect an ohmmeter to pin 1 on each end of cable.  If there is continuity the cable is straight through.

Standard practice would be EZC to panel (pc to hub) straight
Panel to panel  (pc to pc ) crossover

But it may not apply to this application. If different cables were required they would be so identified, which again leads me believe that either cable is straight.

Bob

jjanseni

Sorry to be so very long in answering the question of why I need such a long cord. I have the track above the doors of the room running all around the room and the cord is not long enough for my grandson to run it from a table. It hangs from the wall and he cannot get to it easily. I will look at the wireless control but hated to put a lot more money into a control right now as I have to put another track down so he can run another train around the room.  We are learning as we go here.