News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Automatic transmission fluid

Started by SteamGene, March 21, 2008, 06:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

There's an article in the current SCALE RAILS which advocates automatic transmission fluid - lightly applied - for track cleaning.
Anybody tried it?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Yampa Bob

Amzoil makes the following claims for their synthetic ATF:

Corrosion inhibitors, antioxidants, moisture dispersants, surfactants, friction modifiers, and 10 other benefits.  The one benefit missing is "conductivity".  It is after all primarily a lubricant.  If there is any logic to that, it totally escapes me.

I use a "surfactant" mixed with weed killer, supposed to break down the oily surface of weed leaves so the herbicide can do it's job.  Any connection there?

I spent $10 for a bottle of Walther's track cleaner because the LHS recommended it. Under "ingredients" is says  "Nonionic surfactants and water soluble organic solvents". Not  being a chemist, I have no idea what that means.

Since it is odorless and tasteless,  I can only assume it should be labeled "Colored Water".  I've considered taking it to the high school for a chemical analysis.

Bob 

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Jim Banner

Gene, I haven't tried ATF but regularly use oil on all my layouts.  The oils that work best are light (low viscosity,) non-oxidizing and plastics compatible (if you have plastic wheels.)  If they are called "conducting," don't expect them to conduct electricity in bulk.  All "conducting" means is that in thin layers, they do not stop the flow of electricity.  I suspect that ATF can form thin enough layers.  We know it doesn't oxidize, even under extreme conditions.  Plastics compatible?  I don't know.  If you run all metal wheels, or if your plastic wheels are all Delrin or other form of Nylon, then it should be worth a try.  But if all you are looking for is a cheaper alternative to the usual hobby shop lines of conductive oils, then why not try the old standard Wahl hair clipper oil?
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

grumpy

ATF Is a high detergent lubricant . The detergent factor might assist in cleaning the track but it is a lubricant and could make your track quite slippery.
Whatever happened to 3 in 1 oil .
Don

Yampa Bob

Well, I admit to being confused.  I thought the idea is to clean the tracks, not "lube the rails".  I didn't think nickel silver rails ever suffered from oxidation or corrosion.

To be honest, I haven't cleaned my rails for 6 months, even though I bought the cleaner.  Since all my cars have metal wheels, I figure there is no real need.  I have seen no decrease in performance.  If I ran plastic wheels, then I woud probably be concerned.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

rogertra

Rail Zip (Zap) looks and smells like transmission fluid.

It's the only stuff I use on my GER, which runs very infrequently these days but always runs well when it does.

r.cprmier

Rail Zip (Zap) looks and smells like transmission fluid.

Yeah...It does.  Who'da thunk it?

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Woody Elmore

An old standby was Wahl clipper oil - a couple of dabs on the rails cleaned wheels and helped conductivity. I haven't tried to buy it recently.

CHUG

Bud Steinhoff

Oil, you have to be joking and I hope you do not have grades.
I have been using scotch brite on my cleaner car, brass track, for 8 years and I keep my tack dry.
No contact problem.
Bud

Atlantic Central

The Severna Park Model Railroad Club has used Wahl clipper oil for years, works great.

Since automatic transmissions contain endless numbers of little plastic/rubber parts, it makes sense it would be both plastic safe and clensing in nature.

The trick with any oil based track cleaning system is SPARINGLY!

I have seen some of the layouts of the people mentioned in the Scale Rails article, they ran great.

Bud, light oil, used sparingly, will have no negative effect on grades. One person in the Scale Rails article even explains that right after application he has occasional slipping on grades, but once it is evenly distributed, no problems.

The Severna Park club layout has very steep grades, 3% plus. the use of Wahl clipper oil has never caused a problem there.

The other benifit of oil is it reduces arcing, which can be a real problem with DCC.

Sheldon

r.cprmier

The other benifit of oil is it reduces arcing, which can be a real problem with DCC.

Sheldon;
This is why the older high-voltage transformers (over KV) had oil in them.
  This is especially prevalent on the viaduct from New Haven to GCT in The City.  If you look at an anchor bridge, you will see switch gear-and this is/was rated at 11,000VAC, so an oil type switch gear was almost a neccessity as the arcing sustained on an air-type switch would shorten the life of the gear drastically.  The arc between the catenary and the pans on a moving electric locomotive is evidence of the potential.

And yes, to anyone not familiar with the characteristics of alternating current;  arcing is a force to be reckoned with in a make/break application.
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

TonyD

So Bud is still using brass track? with good results? To tell the truth, I seem to be cleaning my NS on this new layout as much as I had to clean the brass I was using 30-40 years ago... some of that old brass is back down as seldom used sidings, and now that my stash of NS switches is drying up, I am considering using the rest of the old brass ones for future additions or changes. Before- or duing the push for nickel-silver, there was suppose to be a chemical coating for brass rail, whatever happened to that? Someone semi knowledgeable told me it was found to be very toxic- Too bad, 'cause I believe electrically speaking, brass is hard to beat.. please don't make me dig up the elements chart and metalurgical textbooks...
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

SteamGene

Who is responsible for Chug today?  Notice, he didn't make a single post on Friday when I had the duty, despite being ill myself. 
OTOH, check the WD-40 website - IIRC, they make claims that would make a patent medicine salesman blush. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

CHUG

wd40 kept col hoary's fly quick for the brats but that was before the automatic transmission caught on and hunt started using alcohol so forth.