EZ Command Question for Jim Banner

Started by Yampa Bob, March 21, 2008, 08:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yampa Bob

Jim
There seems to be some confusion regarding the proper powerup sequence for the EZ Command.  The instructional video says to plug the wall pack in first then plug in the controller.   There is no caution regarding this sequence. The only specific caution is to not apply power to the controller until the track connection is made. 

I know you have made extensive research on the EZ Command, to the extent of providing a basic power schematic on your site. 

One individual said he burned out a unit by plugging the wall pack in first. I had a similar shut down for the same reason, however being under warranty it was replaced.  My concern is after the warranty.

We humans don't always follow a certain procedure unless specifically warned.  For example I often leave the charger for our cell phones plugged into the ac outlet for extended periods, the only result being a small "phantom" load on the ac system. Of course the output is DC. 

Also, I have often wondered why Bachmann doesn't have an on/off switch on the unit.  I have considered adding one for convenience, but now  I have hesitations.

Can you shed some light on this subject?  If there is an inherent problem with the procedure, I would think cautions would be so noted in the instructions. In your judgement, can there be a chance of a "spike", perhaps caused by the  peak voltage of ac, or some phase issue? 

Would having a standard computer surge protecter to plug in the wall pack be of any use as additional protection for the controller? Due to the sophisticated design of the EZC one would assume buffers would be a part of the power circuitry.  Of course another consideration might be lightning or power utility spikes when switching transformers, or re-activation after an outage.

Thanks
Bob

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Jim Banner

Hi Bob,
I don't know for sure, but I suspect the "plug it in the wall, then plug it in the command station" routine it the safer of the two.

When you plug the wall wart into the wall socket, the the power does not instantly turn on and stay on.  Rather, the prongs make contact, lose contact, make contact, lose contact, make contact and so on as the prongs slide past the contacts in the outlet.  Even new outlets do this.  Old, worn out outlets are worse to a whole lot worse.  This intermittent contact creates a series of inductive kicks on the output of the transformer.  If the transformer is already connected to the command station, these spikes can interfere with the microprocessor resetting correctly to its starting state.  Plugging the wall wart into the wall first, then plugging the low voltage cable into the command station usually gives a cleaner turn on and has a better chance of resetting the microprocessor properly.

Using a power bar with built in surge protector is an excellent choice.  You can use the on/off switch to turn the system on cleanly.  You can plug other power sources needed for lights, turnouts, animation, etc. into the power bar as well and have only one master switch for the whole layout.  Any spikes originating in these power sources and any spikes coming down the power line will all be kept out of your command station.

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Yampa Bob

Jim
I never gave it much thought until someone else mentioned it.  Everything in my office and shop is plugged into surge protector power strips. Two laptops, intercoms, bench lights, power supplies, test equipment, and overhead flourescents that are not hard wired into a wall switch.  I have seen what lightning can do to delicate instruments.  So it makes good sense to me to also provide surge protection for the EZ Command.

I might mention that the "power strips" sold at hardware stores with 18 AWG cords are not surge protectors, merely multiple outlet extension cords. I noticed that the surge protectors I use have short and large power cords 3/8" diameter, but don't know what the wire size is. 

I do use the surge strips for my train power supplies, don't want nasty things coming out of the wall and ruining something.  I wonder how many modelers don't have such "protection".  Would it be called "safe railroading".  :D

You mentioned the "microprocessor resetting".  When our satellite receiver loses signal, the book recommends turning the receiver off and unplugging from wall, wait 15 minutes then plug it back in.  I tried this when my controller went dead, but to no avail.  It was just a last resort effort, there is probably no connection. 

Thanks for your input.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.