News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Kitbashing a K-27?

Started by Gunslinger87, March 21, 2008, 01:34:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gunslinger87

Hey guys, I'm really excited about the new K-27. Although the engine is beautiful out of the box, my favorite version of the loco is the "As-Built" version. I'd like to modify the Bachmann model to match the sa built version. I feel the most difficult and most chalenging modifications would be to model the Vauclain Compound Cylenders, extended smoke box, and the large Headlight.

Do You Guys have any suggestions?
                                                                                      Gunslinger87

Charlie Mutschler

Should be a fun project for a builder.  Drawings and photos may be scarce.  The Armitage drawings that were in Model Railroader may be easy to find, also, check for drawings offered by the Maxwell Collection.  There are a lot, but mostly for the rebuilding of these locomotives.  However, the Maxwell Collection includes the original cab as delivered by Baldwin.  That's drawing L-21. 

The smoke box as built by Baldwin is different from the model.  Different door, hinges, and stack as well as being an extended smokebox.  Builder's plates will be needed.  Also, you are looking at spoked pilot wheels, a wooden pilot, and the big oil headlight.  Revise hand rail around entire smoke box front.  The Vauclain compound cylinders and new crossheads and guides will be the big change at the front end, along with Stephenson valve gear.  Moving back, the cross compound air pump goes, replaced by the single 9.5 inch air pump.  Plumbing changes accordingly.  The tender gets a bit of work also.  The rear gets the slope back configuration, air reservoir behind the coal pocket, and, depending on which locomotive and when, the coal boards need modification.  Don't forget the changes to the tender underframe and rear truck placement, the model reflects the rebuilding of the tenders. 

All this should be feasible with your choice of materials - brass, plastic, or whatever.  I don't think anyone is offering castings for the headlight, stack, and 9.5 inch air pump in F scale, so these will need to be scratch built.  I am not aware of anyone offering the BLW builders plates, but you will need a set for your loco.  I will be interested in seeing your completed Class 125. 

Happy modifications. 
Charlie Mutschler
-30-

gunslinger473

WOW, thats alot of really usefull info. The one exception though is that even though I want to have an accurate "As-Built" K-27 its also a freelance model. I love the K-27 class in the well known Third phase, but Ilike it better when it was "Stock". Its intended to be my #12 for my Gunpowder Falls Railroad. Its a fictional Colorado Narrow Gauge based off of a railroad in one of the Comics I'm working on.

Now please don't take this the wrong way, Thank you for telling what needs to be done to make the model accurate to prototype. But much of it I already knew. I do plan on scratch building the headlight, Compound pistons and crosshead. But what I really need help on is how to constuct these parts.
I know Kevin Strong is a fan of extended smokeboxes and modifies most of his locos to have them. Like with the Bachmann "Connie" for example. I'd like to contact him but Don't know how.

Gunslinger87

To Charlie Mutschler, the last reply made by Gunslinger473 was acctually me. That was my old sreen name from God knows when. Just wanted to point that out.