News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-6-2 Pacific DCC pin receptacle IDs

Started by kenk, March 22, 2008, 05:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenk

I am trying to install an MRC decoder and can't figure out where pin 1 should go in the receptacle.

SteamGene

If pin 1 is not marked on the board put the plug in one way.  If it works correctly, you've done it right.  If it doesn't, reverse and it will. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

kenk

Thanks, but no risk of damage if I get it backwards????

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat

kenk

Thanks, it worked!  I did one other thing to improve my odds of getting it right.  I figured that there must be some standards for this stuff, and there are on the NMRA site.  The #8 socket is next to #1, and #8 is connected to the right side wheels.  My continutity tester located #8, and then it was easy.  Too bad Bachmann doesn't mark the sockets, or explain how to ID them, or give your suggestion:  Just try it.

Now if I can just get rid of all the shorts that this loco causes!  I am working on them one at a time.

SteamGene

Glad I could help.  Are you sure it's the loco causing shorts? 
And yes, there are some things that Bachmann does that make many grit our teeth - but it is still the producer of some great products.  The VT&P is strongly committed to Bachmann's motive power.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Jim Banner

If your locomotive is causing shorts at it passes through turnouts then it is time to check its wheel gauge and the the track gauge of the turnouts.  For this, an NMRA track and wheel gauge is worth its weight in gold.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.