News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Walther's New River Mining Company kit

Started by SteamGene, March 22, 2008, 06:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

Has anybody built this kit?  Have you figured out what the black triangular pieces are and where they actually go?  The instructions are vague!!  I have two pictures of the finished kit and I can't find the little buggers at all. 
I'm still looking for a head house kit.  I'm thinking there are a couple of DPM industry kits which might work - I'll just have to make a hole for the conveyer belt from headhouse to tipple. 
BTW, what I mean by headhouse is the building over or in front of the mine shaft where miners enter and leave, where tools and equipment are brought, and from which the coal is sent to the tipple. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

r0bert

here's a couple of pics of "mine", but I'm not sure what you mean by black triangular pieces, but it's been awhile since I built the kit.

ta152h0

Nice job. I still have a few SUYDAN kits to start. I continually being interrupted by so many toys to buid. ;D

r.cprmier

Gene;
It looks pretty good-even for a lifer (ha ha).  The Walthers kits usually are not vague, so that is a new one on me.  I think  though, you might have to be on your toes a bit because the instructions are translated from (German, Danish, etc) to English, and you know how that can go; wars have been started over that kind of business.

I do have a suggestion for you and anyone else who might be intersted in the kits of industrial complexes, such as mining ops, steel, etc.  Dean Freytag did a great book about seven or eight years ago.  I have it upstairs, but I am too lazy to get off of my duff right now.  It mostly concerns itself with his Davies Steel; and there is a ton of very helpful info in it. It does lend itself wonderfully to Walthers Steel Mill kit.  I encourage you and others to take a look if you haven't yet.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

SteamGene

Robert, the instructions show five of six of the little beasties and point towards the bottoms of the support beams between the tracks.  Four are show in "front" - that's the part that extends out from the rest of the building and one behind. 
Rich,  these instructions have no verbage - just pictures, dashes, and numbers.  Actually, were it a poor translation into English from German, Danish, or Dutch, I could probably it out figure.   :D

There is also a piece which looks like a roof peak, but no indication of where it should go - and no obvious place. 
Robert, I was planning on weathering mine much like you have yours, but I've seen a couple of b&w photos and I may just dullcote the whole building instead. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

japasha

Robert,

Nice job on the mine but much too clean. a coal mine is a very dirty business. Perhaps this is an unobtainium mine?  This is probably the best coal mine kit I've seen, representitive of mines from Pennsylvania to British Columbia. Colorado had many mines and buildings like thgis, both standard and narrow gauge.
Some of Wlathers kits have extra pieces that are shared with other kits.  I have found instructions to be very poor from  user standpoint.

r.cprmier

Some of Wlathers kits have extra pieces that are shared with other kits.  I have found instructions to be very poor from  user standpoint.

Yampasha;

That is a good and valid point to consider.  A lot of "craftsman" type kits do that; especially the resin kits, only because it is less expensive production-wise sometimes, to cover all bases

Gene;

So, how can you yump ven youto stchood have no place?

BTW:  Do you remember cartoonist R. Dirks?  "Ja, Hans; ve go to find Chumbo und play das trick on der kapitan un der inshpector!"

Ach!  Gifs himmel, Fritz! (tee hee).  (Vot iss der Kapitan saying?  "Mein Got!  Giffs Moider!"
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

SteamGene

The Katzenjammer Kids.  Yep. 
I'm not all that worried about the little pieces.  They look like they are some form of minor bracing, but now I'm three for three pictures of the assembled kit with no view of them. 
And yes, Walther's does have sprues with pieces for more than one kit - but the instructions show them, but without a clear, logical place to go. 
BTW, the conveyer belt point of origin question is solved.  One of the men I go to church with worked around the WV coal mines as a young man.  Most, if not all conveyer belts came from a simple hole or tunnel - maybe a bricked up entrance, but separate from the headhouse by and large.  That makes it a lot easier in one case. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat