News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann speed controlers

Started by Austins Dad, March 23, 2008, 11:23:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Austins Dad

My son has mostly Bachmann trains and I would like to clear up a question regarding the speed controllers.  Austin has a G, HO and now an N scale train.  We got the HO first and then the G and now we have gotten the N scale. The colors and the part numbers are different between the G and HO scale speed controllers. We bought a N scale train and the speed controller is the same as the HO scale train, in color and part number. Is this correct? On the ouside of the set is a controller that is red in color. When we opened up the box it had a dark grey knob and had the same part number as the HO set. One can only assume that the reson for the difference in color is so you do not run the incorrect controller on the incorrect scale.  I will not run the set untill I can get this solved. I do not want to burn up an engine. Does anyone out there have the speed controller for an N that is different then the dark grey that I described?  And/Or the differnces between the controllers ie part numbers and internal differences? I'm new here so be gentle. Thanks in advance from Austins Dad

Yampa Bob

Dad
The controller for N and HO has an available output of .7 amp, so yes, the controllers are the same. Don't worry about the knob colors, as long as the part numbers are the same.  Latest version has a red knob.  You might have an older stock that has a grey knob.  Manufacturers make changes without notice, it's in their disclaimer.

The large scale controller's output is 1 amp as the motor needs a bit more power. If it is a Bachmann, the latest color knob is white.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Santa Fe buff

- Joshua Bauer

Yampa Bob

Try what?  Please elaborate.

Bob

Santa Fe buff

- Joshua Bauer

SteamGene

If you know what power is needed for HO/N and O/G, and you know the power produced by the power pack, you don't have to "try."  You use the one designed for the scale.  I don't enjoy destroying expensive locomotives performing an unnecessary experiment.
Bob had the correct answer.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Austins Dad

Thanks guys.  I just did not want to burn up an engine with using the incorrect controller. Question answered. A special thanks to Bob for a quick reply. Take care from Austins Dad.

Yampa Bob

"Dad"
You're welcome.  Come back anytime with questions, we promise to always "be gentle". 

Bob

Running Bear

All the Bachmann HO power packs that I have are rated for use with HO and N scales. I've had some of them going on 20 years now and have used them for both scales without incident.
Running Bear

fieromike

What is more important here is that the controller for the large scale engine is likely to be supplying more voltage than the N and HO controllers.  Too much voltage to a motor can let the magic smoke escape.

taz-of-boyds

For N scale motors you should not exceed 12 volts.  The Bachmann controller I have produces more than 12 volts.  So I never turn it up full throttle.  If you have a meter you can read the voltage.  With a loco on the track there will be some voltage drop compared to the same setting without a loco (this is normal).  In general running the loco at 12 volts tends to produce speeds faster than a sane engineer would operate a real train anyhow.
Charles